I Don't Give You Enough Credit, Marissa

I Don't Give You Enough Credit, Marissa

These are the things I've been wanting to tell you.
316

Marissa, I am so unbelievably proud of you.

Those words don't come out of my mouth enough and I apologize for that. I realize we haven't had the perfect relationship, but what siblings do? We've always been in different stages of life thanks to our age gap. Now that I'm in college, we are growing closer. We've had more relatable experiences and I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that. I love having you in my life.

I hate that the reason we got so close was a stupid diagnosis. It's been months — even years — coming, as I can recall the countless health issues and doctor's appointments. This diagnosis was probably one of our biggest fears. I know you don't want anyone to know that you were (and maybe still are) scared, but you're doing great and I am so proud of you.

You are my sister and one of my best friends. My heart hurts for the fear you may feel and the pain you have to endure. If there was anything that I could do to make it all go away, I would do whatever it took in a heartbeat. There's no doubt about that. You know that I will do anything to make this easier and to be of any possible help to you, no matter the task. The reality is that you're doing just fine on your own, though.

You've really turned your life around and words cannot express how happy I am about that. Seeing you so motivated and happy is the only thing that I can wish for. The Multiple Sclerosis Walk this past weekend really lifted my spirits. It's so comforting to know that you have such a big support system behind you for when I can't be there. I have felt so guilty for being a state away through these tough times. I feel horrible for not being able to be with you as much as you may want or need, but I now see you have a whole mob supporting you.

This diagnosis has changed your life — there is no doubt about that. However, please do not allow it to determine, rule, or consume your life. You are not your disease. You are not weak. You are a hard-working, sarcastic, funny, caring, strong woman and nothing can take that away. This disease picked the wrong girl to mess with and your family won't let you take one step on your journey by yourself. Thank you for all that you do. It's not acknowledged as much as it should be. Thank you for helping me and always being there for me all the time. I'm only a call and a little drive away.

I love you, Meeta. Believe.