They're Just Two Words
Wellbeing

It's My Party, And I Can Cry if I Want To

You Would Cry, Too if It Happened to You!

71
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=happy%20birthday&license=2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C6%2C9

One's birthday is a special time to celebrate oneself with others whom one truly cares about.

Even if an individual is unable to see all of their loved ones in person on their day of birth, acknowledgment of becoming another year older and wiser as well as being recognized by others whom one is close to is essential. My birthday just passed, and I am not one who loves attention nor wants to be showered or spoiled.

However, I do enjoy when others who are meaningful to me wish me a happy birthday. I understand that no relationship is exactly equal, but my birthday is a time in which I feel I deserve to feel love via birthday wishes. I am one who is giving, and a way in which my loved ones can also contribute to me is by sending me some positive birthday vibes.

I am not offended if I am wished a happy belated birthday and feel that being honored later is better than never. I understand that someone can still care about me but forget to say the two simple words, "happy birthday." I always attempt to be cognizant of others and their birthdays, so I feel I deserve the same.

In my eyes, birthdays are ways to see who is truly present and relevant to one's life. Perhaps, I spent more time with certain individuals last year as opposed to no time with them this year.

Therefore, our relationship changed, and naturally, my happy birthday greeting was lacking. It's funny when friendships become distant and a whole paragraph on social media or text message from a formerly tight friend becomes a simple "happy birthday." I don't feel that it matters how many words or letters one sends or tells to me but rather the thought that counts.

Especially with the power of Facebook notifying users of birthdays in advance, on the day of, and belatedly are built-in features to ease the process of birthday wishing. Snapchat even alerts users when it is one's friend's birthday with a birthday cake emoji next to one's username.

Moreover, if someone posts pictures of their birthday celebration on Instagram, even a quick comment on the direct post belatedly or on time can make someone feel appreciated. I was disappointed when not everyone I had hoped would wish me a happy birthday failed to do so. I know that I am still valued by many, but my primary birthday wish was to just be noticed approximately on my day.

I am grateful for those who are close to me in my life, and I feel that most people who are important to me did wish me a happy birthday. I attempt to wish those who I feel super connected with a happy birthday via phone call or text message instead of on one's Facebook page in order to personalize the message as well as make my relationship with someone else feel more intimate. I'm glad to receive Facebook posts on my birthday, but I understand the power of directly contacting someone.

Before being concerned about throwing a surprise party for a friend, do not allow the simplicity of wishing someone a happy birthday pass. While extravagance is impressive, the mere thought of wishing one a happy birthday is extremely thoughtful. Don't forget that we are all humans, and we sometimes forget to wish those whom we care about a happy birthday. Don't ever feel embarrassed about not wishing someone a happy birthday on their actual day, and please remember to wish someone a happy birthday later on because this action goes a long way!

Birthdays should be special.

Your loved ones must add some love and kindness to your day of birth!