5 Ways to Take a Break and Practice Self-Care

I have always found myself constantly under stress, and I know I'm not the only one. When you're busy balancing things like school, work, internships, life, and so on, it can be pretty difficult to find the time to take a break away from everything. By the time I finally have a moment to take a break, it's usually to scroll through my phone (which isn't always a bad thing), but is it the best way to take a break? Probably not.

Here are my top 5 ways to take a break and relieve stress:

1) Low impact exercises like walking or stretching

Walking is a great way to take a break and clear your head when you're stressed. Getting out into can also decrease the risk of depression and it's free. If you're not a huge fan of walking taking time to stretch can be beneficial. Incorporating light stretching into your daily routine will help relieve any tension you may have and can be done almost everywhere. In the long term, you'll find your stress hormones will decrease too.

2) Treat yourself and your skin with your favorite skin care items

I am guilty of not taking care of my skin enough. As I grow older I find it has become more important for me to take care of it, not because of vanity, but because when you look good, you feel good. Plus, when you don't have enough time in the day to take a break going through, your skin care routine can be very therapeutic. I start out with my basic cleansing and toning, but my favorite part is using face masks! While I wait for the mask to work its magic, I like to grab a book and drink some tea. You can also take this time to meditate, listen to music, or talk to a loved one. Anything to get you feeling relaxed!

3) Take a nap

Have you ever had a billion things on your plate and you don't know where exactly to start, so you end up taking a nap instead? I love taking naps, and it's one of my favorite ways to prevent from being burnt out. Whenever I'm stressed and have some extra time on my hands, I always take a nap for about 15 minutes to a few hours. I find that when I wake up, my head is a bit clear, and I understand how I should prioritize my next few things I need to get done. I'm also a little less exhausted after taking a nap, as it is helping me to have a bit more energy to get things done.

4) Laugh!

I feel like we with all the hustle and bustle going on in our everyday lives, we forget to take a moment to just laugh! Laughter is one of the best remedies to relieve stress since it relaxes your nervous system. Studies have also found laughter has helped patients with a variety of illness. I love finding a good meme or reliving my favorite moments with my friends to laugh about whenever I need a quick break from life.

5) Finally, get cozy by adopting the art of hygge (pronounced hoo-gah)

Hygge is the Danish word translating to the feeling of being cozy and content through the enjoyment of the little things in life. Meik Wiking, the CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen and author of "The Little Book of Hygge" says, "You know hygge when you feel it. It is when you are cuddled up on a sofa with a loved one or sharing comfort food with your closest friends. It is those crisp blue mornings when the light through your window is just right." What better way to take a break and relieve stress than by wearing sweatpants surrounded by candles and eating your favorite chocolate cake with your favorite people. From the man who researches what makes people happy

Find out more about the concept of hygge and where to find "The Little Book of Hygge" here.

With all our priorities we tend to get caught up in stressful situations or become at risk of being burnt out. Whether it is taking a minute to play your favorite game or calling a loved one, I hope this reminds you to take a moment to take a break.