The Gift Of Travel

The Gift Of Travel

Everyone deserves the gift of travel

104
The Gift Of Travel
Cambre Codington

There is nothing quite comparable to traveling. People of all different ages, ethnicities, and genders, all in one place. A mixture of first-time tourists, the annual visitors, and that country's citizens all buzzing about in one area.

Some travel for their job, to visit loved ones, or just for vacation. Whatever reason convinced them to hop on that plane, their experience is sure to be original each time. Whether it’s the same city they went to last week, or a brand new country they’ve never been to.

Traveling gives people the choice to change the way they live their life. It shakes things up and changes your perspective completely on yourself and on others.

When a person becomes immersed in a brand new culture, it changes their perspective on their own. The obvious barrier between the two is often language. You can gain the first-hand experience with this by traveling to new cities and countries such as Paris, France or Barcelona, Spain.

The language of Paris is predominantly French, and the city of Barcelona is filled with Spanish speakers. When you know very little of either, daily life gets a lot more complicated. This can instill a new type of panic inside you because maybe you couldn’t read the cafe menus, work out the maps, or communicate with the locals.

Don’t worry, you can quickly learn the simple phrases, most importantly, “Parlez-vous Anglais?”: Do you speak English? You may also learn that when visiting a new country, it shows respect to at least make an effort to speak in their language, even if it is to just ask if they know any English.

Some did and some did not, and you eventually will learn how to work the metro map in French after getting lost once or twice. This will give you a new appreciation for language, especially if you have never gone somewhere with people who didn’t speak your own, and you may start to respect the art of how different each one is. Just think, if you had never visited these new places, you never would have gained this new appreciation or found a sense of humility.

People often become so wrapped up in their own daily routine; working, eating, sleeping, and living the same life every day.

Traveling to a new environment and seeing that there are people living completely different lives and having their own unique experiences is extremely humbling. We often forget to pay attention and become self-absorbed, oblivious to how much more is out there.

The world is this great, giant place and as individuals, we are only a very, very small part of it. After feeling this humility overcome me and many others, it will stick with us when returning home and for the rest of our lives.

People learn a new appreciation for the word ‘home’ and what it really means. As soon as they arrive at a new place, they automatically start comparing it to their native country, whether those are positives or negatives, and gain a new perspective on how things work at home compared to this new temporary home.

People learn how to live and conform to the new countries ‘norms’ and social orders, even if it is just for a few days. A person can never truly know what it is to be a citizen of their native country without experiencing it from a distance, and this is most successfully achieved through travel.

Not only do people gain a new perspective and a humbling experience, they gain brand new life experience. They get to step out of their comfort zone and meet new people and try brand new things. People get to enjoy everything life has given them and gain a new appreciation for everything they are able to experience as a human on this earth.

New adventures and new stories to tell, new things to try, and a completely different way of living.

It’s like getting to swap places with a citizen from that country. It gives people the chance to hop into these new people’s shoes and learn everything they can in the time they’re given about who it is to be French or Spanish or Turkish, etc. They can look back at this part of their life and think that this is just one of the many versions of the person they are today. They can say to themselves that they expanded their horizons of the world and all the people living in it.

Overall, every person should be given the gift of travel. Everyone should get out at least once to experience a brand new culture. In time overseas, you learn so many new things about other people, but especially about yourself.

You can find how much you enjoy learning about the ways others live and learning how to adapt to a new environment other than your own. Traveling is a life changing experience, and it teaches people how to appreciate everything they have and everything they could do to be a better person for not only themselves, but to benefit the rest of the world.