6 Reasons Why Getting Up Early For Classes Is BETTER Than Just Rolling Out Of Bed

As a college student, few things are more dreaded than the sound of your alarm clock first thing in the morning. So many of us would want nothing more than to sleep in until the last possible moment, only to get up 10 minutes before class and shuffle over to the designated academic building. However, I believe that getting up early to get ready for classes is better for you in the long run. I will admit, I get up much earlier than the average person to get ready for class. But, even if you get up 45 minutes earlier, here is my list of reasons as to why I think it is the better option.

You Have More Time To Get Ready

In my case, this includes getting into the bathroom early enough to take a shower. I share a bathroom with my roommate and three guys next door. We never made an exact "schedule," so trying to find time and equally share the space with 4 other guys is a challenge. By getting up earlier, I've been able to take the time to get ready before anyone else wakes up. By the time anybody else needs to get into the bathroom, I'm already out the door.

Meeting Up With Friends

Friends make your college experience whole. Starting your day by meeting up with them is a great thing. I have a group of friends that, like me, have their first class at 9:30 a.m. twice a week. This semester, we have taken this opportunity to meet up at the cafeteria for breakfast. We meet at 8:30 so that we can have enough time to eat and catch up on life. Getting up early for this one may be a bit rough, but it's so worthwhile. Just make sure to have coffee while you're there and you'll be fine.

More Time To Get Dressed

This ties into some of the points I made in topic 1 of this article. Many people who get out of bed 10 minutes before the start of class don't even bother changing and just show up in whatever they have on. However, I am of the opinion that dressing in more casual (but still comfortable) outfits gives you more confidence to approach the challenges of the day. If you have a presentation where you need to dress up, waking up earlier is definitely a good idea.

Moreover, this helps us prepare for the working world, in which there is an expectation that you dress in a way that represents the company and industry that you work in.

Last Minute Overlooking Of Assignments

This isn't necessarily a recommendation, but the point still stands. If you need to wrap up an assignment, giving yourself 15 minutes extra minutes in the morning will be a lifesaver. The same goes for looking over a presentation Powerpoint or paper one last time to ensure there are no errors.

Accounting For Unforeseen Circumstances

When I was growing up, my father always stressed the importance of allotting yourself enough time to reach your destination. There are many factors that could affect your normal route of getting to class. These include inclement weather, traffic (if you're commuting), or construction. Getting up early decreases the likelihood of you being delayed due to an unforeseen circumstance.

Peace and Quiet

I'm a relatively energetic and talkative person, but even I appreciate having a few minutes to myself in the morning. In high school, the one aspect that I liked about waking up early was that I was the only one awake in the whole house. In college, I obviously have to share my space, but there is a general agreement between me and my roommate that mornings are quiet times.

If you don't want to face the crowds of people on campus right after you wake up, then getting up earlier might actually be beneficial. That way, you have a few extra minutes to finish waking up, make your first cup of coffee, and scroll your social media feed before you leave for the day.