Why Binge Drinking Is NOT A Solution To Your Problems

As a college student, I have had plenty of friends say they go out and get drunk because it's a good "solution" their problems. I'll admit, I've even said it before. Through my experience and watching a friend turn to alcohol as a "solution," I can tell you that it really doesn't solve anything, but is a problem in and of itself.

1. Your problems don't go away

Yes, you read that right. Just because you get trashed doesn't mean your problems are magically gone. Maybe it takes your mind off of it for a few hours, but they'll still be there when you sober up. The more you feel like your problems are present and the more you go out to try to solve them, the longer they'll last.

2. It can make you feel worse

Like I said, when you sober up, your problems are still there, and sometimes after sobering up you feel worse. I remember after a bad breakup a couple of years ago, I'd go out and get trashed thinking it would help, but then in the morning when I was sober, I felt a worsened physical pain in my chest from the heartbreak. Trust me, you feel worse the more you do it to "solve" problems.

3. It can become a habit (and a bad one, at that) 

The longer your problems linger, the longer it hurts, and the more you'll turn to alcohol to "forget" or try to resolve the problem. You may eventually develop a habit of doing so, and it's definitely a bad habit.

4. You can become dependent on alcohol to make you feel better

Once it becomes a habit to drink as a "solution" to your problems, you can eventually become dependent on it. You can't live without drinking every day. I know people who have said to me in the past, "no one is an alcoholic until you're out of college," and I think that's the saddest thing. It's like they KNOW they have this dependency on alcohol but don't want to be labeled as an alcoholic, yet. The saddest part is they're proud of it.

5. You can lose your sense of self-worth

One of my old friends would get drunk because she has issues with her mental health. She would turn to alcohol to feel better. She became dependent on it (and still is), and it has completely changed her sense of self-worth. She throws herself at any guy that wants to hook up with her (and only when she's drunk). She treats herself like she is just a toy for boys to use. When she's sober, she hates herself more and more. It's really sad.

6. It can affect your studies or your job

Going back to that old friend I was talking about, her dependency on alcohol to "solve" her problems changed her as a whole person. She was originally a nursing major, but had to change to something else because her grades slipped and there was no way she'd get into nursing school. When it comes to a job environment, it may get so bad that you will get fired. Which would suck, wouldn't it?

7. You will lose people who are important to you

Listen, you might think it's "cool" you drink or you can down 20 shots without blacking out, but in reality, it's not a good look. At all. A lot of people will not want to be around someone that overdoes it. There's a reason I keep calling that girl my "old" friend.

8. It can cause even MORE problems

Wow! More problems when trying to solve your problems with alcohol?! Yeah, more problems can arise. Whether that be getting caught by the police and getting a MIP, causing a car crash because you're drunk driving, or public intoxication. You can get into legal trouble, and trust me, I don't think your problems (big or small) are worth possibly getting a record.

9. Oh, and it's incredibly unhealthy

Getting trashed as a "solution" to whatever problems you have is unhealthy, shocker right? I think we all know that alcohol can cause long term, permanent, and even fatal health issues. Is the problem you're drinking over really worth having, say, liver damage? Definitely don't want that.

If you or someone you know needs help with substance abuse or mental health issues, call 800-662-HELP (4357) for the SAMHSA National Helpline.