12 Women's Stories Of What It's Like To Be Pregnant Before 21

I Asked 12 Girls How Getting Pregnant Before The Age Of 21 Changed Their Life

I asked 12 young mothers the struggles in which the have come across and how their child has changed their life.

2750

Getting pregnant at a young age has its struggles. Your entire life changes. Many women have found true love in their children. Some have overcome addictions and found ways to cope with certain situations.

I asked 12 girls how their life changed and some of the struggles they have come across being a young mom and here are the responses:

Anonymous, pregnant at 17

What are some struggles you have come across since becoming a mother?

"I found out the end of my junior year in high school. I had an entire year of high school left, half of which my child would be here for. I didn't and still do not have the luxury to do simple things that others can. I had to get out of high school and go straight to a full-time job, because I didn't have anyone to watch my daughter while I attended college, let alone work, so I had to find a job that paid enough (being my first job and all) to afford daycare and still have money left over for gas, diapers, food, clothes, wipes, etc. My parents helped me, but not like other parents might. They wanted me to understand the late nights, the tears, the praying, and the emotions that came along with being mom at a young age. Once I showed them that I can do this then they started to show more effort in helping me to make things easier."

How has your life changed since becoming a mother?

"Before my daughter, I was in a toxic five-year relationship that led me to drugs (Xanax addiction), alcohol, and ultimately ended me up in a mental institution for my second suicide attempt. After I got out, I went back the the same guy, which was a bad habit for me, and ended up pregnant. I ended up not knowing for about two months, and in those months I smoked weed, cigarettes and drank so much just to find out I could have harmed the one thing that made me wanna love. Turns out she was fine and healthy and it wasn't for a long period so no damage would occur.

"See, I did all those things because I wanted to die. He made me hate myself and life so much that I did toxic and destructive things to myself but after I found out I was pregnant I stopped smoking, drinking, finished high school, healed from severe depression, and learned to manage my anxiety, have held multiple jobs and found the courage to leave the relationship that was filled with domestic violence, cheating, and mental abuse for years, and found a man I couldn't be happier with that loves me but loves my daughter so much more, a man who taught me it's OK to love again and trust!"

Mary, pregnant at 17

"Finishing school, battling postpartum depression and being looked down upon for being so young with a child, especially one that's mixed."

"She's made me a better person. She's taught me patience. She's the reason I want to go ahead and pursue my dream job. She's the love of my life. There's nothing I wouldn't do for that little girl."

Amber, pregnant at 19

"People criticizing everything you do like you have no clue what's best for your child just because you are young. Pursuing the dreams and aspirations you had before you got pregnant young are much harder."

"He has made me such a stronger, smarter and more patient person. He has brought so much happiness into my family that was lacking before. He has made me happier now than I have ever been in my whole life. I owe it all to him."

Anonymous, pregnant at 18

"The biggest one was if I was going to be a good mom. I didn't know what I was doing, but another struggle was the money issue. Even with me and their dad both working, it was barely enough most of the time, but we got by!"

"My life has completely changed for the better for both of my children and a third on the way. They made me take responsibility for something that was more than just me and made me want to step up and be a better mom and person than from where I came from."

Mikaeli, pregnant at 18

"Honestly, I haven't had any struggles other than the CONSTANT judgment from older people. They seem to think young moms are all shitty moms, and that's not true at all."

"It's changed for the better. If I never would have had my baby, I would still be working at Subway and still living with my mom. She has made me want to do more because I want her to be proud of me. She is my reason for everything."

Anonymous, pregnant at 19

"It's definitely hard. Everyone looks at you different. Some 'friends' stop having anything to do with you and you kind of just give your whole life for this tiny human that you'll raise for the rest of your life."

"I like to believe my life was taking a turn for the worse in the things I was doing and habits I had gotten into were not the best. My child put me back on the right path. I can't imagine not being a mom now. It's truly a blessing."

Taylor, pregnant at 17

"Luckily, I finished high school, but furthering my education was quite difficult. It was difficult trying to find a job, as I didn't have anyone that could watch my daughter at the time for me to work. Becoming a stay at home mom was different, I felt unstable not being able to support my child on my own, having to depend on the help of others, and then you have the monster no one ever talks about, which is postpartum depression, which I had after my first child."

"It taught me responsibility quickly. It showed me hardships at times, but I became a strong and independent and learned how to face and overcome obstacles not only for myself, but for my child."

Heather Lynne, pregnant at 19

"Trying to go to school, and work to make enough money to provide for my child have been the struggles I have come across."

"She has made me more motivated to complete school."

Anonymous, pregnant at 20

"I am still trying to figure out who I am as a person while taking care of a little can be a bit of a struggle."

"It has helped give me purpose and encouraged me to work very hard to make sure I give my child the absolute best he deserves!"

Ashley, pregnant at 20

"Finances and friendships are the main struggles I have come across since having my child."

"I was forced to be an adult. If I didn't have a child, I wouldn't work a full time job and I'd still be in school. Now, I have a reason for everything I do."

Monica, pregnant at 20

"Waking up every three to four hours to feed and change my baby has become one of my struggles. It is hard to not have a melt down from the lack of sleep and my child won't stop crying."

"My child has given me responsibility to take care of another human. I have learned that taking care of animals is one thing but taking care of a baby is even more. I didn't know that I could love something so perfect that my husband and I created."

Autumn, pregnant at 16

"I received constant judgment from others. I was always having to prove myself worthy of being a mother. My world changed overnight. I lost many friends."

"I'm happier than I ever was before. Having my child made me a better person."