one year anniversary

365 Days As A Wife & Here's What I've Learned

Step One: Marry an engineer and nothing will ever be truly broken, including your heart.

36

I am gonna start by bragging on my husband and clue you in on how we normally function, as I understand everyone is different and my advice on the matter might not mean a thing to you. All I know is I made it a full year without killing my husband so that basically now makes me a pro at marriage, right? Kidding, of course.

My 31 year old husband is a too smart for his own good, Queen singing, tinkers with everything, computer guru, civil engineer. If I were to suggest eating something healthy like greens, he would out-wit me and buy mint chocolate chip ice cream while saying "it's green, just like you said." Well played love, well played.

Unlike him, I am 26 and the constant breaker of everything. I am crazy weird about cleaning and will just about have a conniption if the dirty dishes are next to the sink and not actually in the sink. I am too independent and as extroverted as I am, most often I just want to be left alone.

While I am a good saver, my husband is a spender but he is slowly learning that the best way to save money is to hide it in a toaster oven and completely forget about it until the one day you want waffles, at which point it's burning a whole through something, just not your pocket. #yourewelcome

As different as we are, that's what manages to make us work. As much as we are a team, we both allow each other to have our own goals and hobbies while encouraging the other to actually pursue them. Ladies, if you think you significant other needs a hobby, give him permission to build a boat. I double dog dare you. Men, if your other half wants to go to the gym hours a day so they can feel good, then realize it's literally all for you anyways.

I know right now life and marriage can seem really easy as we don't have kids and truly live a blessed life but I learned that as long as you pick your partner wisely then you should be able to get through anything life may toss at you. It's about still being the person you have always been and now having an extension of something greater and stronger.

It's okay to fight, it's okay to argue, but it's not okay to give up.