Finding Your Audience In Journalism

Finding Your Audience In Journalism

Charlie Rose interviews Megyn Kelly

14
Finding Your Audience In Journalism
Via Idealist Careers

Charlie Rose interviewed Megyn Kelly, a then anchor for “The Kelly File.” Kelly is a journalist, but years prior she practiced law as an attorney. Her role of her job as a journalist is done on FOX channel news, as an anchor. To give an overview of the interview, Rose interviewed Kelly about her life as an anchor and what does her role play when it comes to interviewing others. Since Kelly is an interviewer herself, she was able to accept questions that were being asked.

In the interview, Kelly spoke of how her interviews consist of complex subjects for people who don’t read the news. When she interviews, it is best to stay on topic and know that a job has to be done – getting to the main issue. Not going on tangents is a good recommendation, but support the person in understanding their matter of situation.

One of several questions asked by Rose was how does Kelly prepare for her day, as an anchor. In response, Kelly answered speaking of how her show works is that certain important news is done in a five-segment show. Throughout the day, her assigned Editorial and Executive producers collect news throughout the day for very important news that would be relevant to report. Once news is collected, a conference call is then set with selected guests to be interviewed.

To give a review of Kelly’s life, she began to speak about her childhood. At the age of 15, her father died of a massive heart attack. At the time, she had two other siblings, and with the passing of her father, it left her mother a widow at 44. Because of her father’s tragic death, it motivated her to go forth and practice law. In high school, she took an aptitude test and realized how much she loved journalism and what it is about. After spending eight to nine years practicing law, she found her new love of news. Her very first job took place in Washington, D.C.

Rose’s questions were gentle and open-ended to Kelly. One of the most important things about interviewing is building friendships with people you work with. A good hot topic that spurred the moment, was the conversation about politics. At one time, Donald Trump took to the public eye making remarks about Kelly as a person. In her response, “having thick skin in journalism…don’t play the victim,” said Kelly. She chose to not respond to a past situation regarding Trump making unnecessary comments about her, because in the end, he needed to be interviewed and a story covered. Kelly added that a person should separate feelings from the job and remember there are viewers and they notice everything.

Rose raised the question to ask Kelly about how is she different from other anchors on the show “Primetime," because a news anchor's personality matters. It is better to be labeled by watching news to physically tell what an anchor agrees with, like about a certain topic. For example, everything and every person involved with the presidential campaign, Kelly said noted that as an anchor, It is better to keep your feelings and judgments on hold and just report the story.

Another topic discussed were the emails sent from Hillary Clinton’s personal account, in the event of the Benghazi hearing. During that time, Clinton became very quiet. Unlike her, Clinton is known by close friends as an outgoing person. From the Republican’s standpoint, the trial was done to bring her poll numbers down.

Former Republication candidate Ben Carson was discussed also. When Kelly spoke to Carson, she describes him as a man with no humor but very serious. A key thing with Carson is that Rose questioned Kelly to know her opinion, as if Carson would be a fit as the next President, in response, Kelly said “One of the most important things in presidency is dealing with domestic and foreign policy issues. So many mistakes, why would or should he be chosen as commander in chief to lead the nation?” To be president, it is important to be a big influence, “We need a leader to hit the ground running, especially on foreign policy that is something society wants to know,” Kelly said.

A continued conversation about politics, Jeb Bush was the topic next. Bush is viewed as a conservative person. To describe Bush, Kelly says that in today’s society you have to penetrate the lens to engage with people, otherwise you won’t be trusted or liked. Then the conversation changed to Vice President Joe Bidden and how he ran for office multiple times. Bidden ran plenty of times, even coming close to taking the seat in office, but his plans changed. With his many adversaries, in the passing of his first wife and his son’s recent passing, he has had so much to balance, he knows for a fact how much he can balance. Which is why he has chosen to take time off again in the presidential election for 2017.

After 30-mintues into the interview, Rose asked Kelly about how she defines feminism and if that in anyway relates to her. In Kelly’s opinion, “I have had a bad experience with it, for example covering the news. Back in the day when Sarah Palin was trying to run for president, the world looked at her and questioned her, how would she be able to take office and raise a family at the same time.” Kelly is against feminism. She doesn’t categorize herself as one and she does not stand up for female empowerment, but she supports those women who stand up for other women by the expense of men.

Towards the end of the interview, Rose wanted to leave viewers with one last question about Kelly’s personal life. That question was who influences her and what keeps her going. In Kelly’s response, she noted that her children keep her active. With that being said, Rose then asked Kelly if her children will grow up the same way she did. Kelly was raised Catholic, and although she wants to raise her children in the same religion, her family has been attending a Methodist church, that is near their home. This was a good decision for her children, “You know, in the Catholic faith there aren’t many things to go outside of, especially when it comes to children. So being at the Methodist church, gives them more to explore,” said Kelly.

Rose knows how much Kelly is thought of in the public eye, so he was curious to ask Kelly if she was aware of it too. From some viewer’s standpoint, Kelly is not a likeable person at all. She is seen as someone who is snobby and carries a high profile attitude. In Kelly’s response, “I am not worried about what others think of me. For me to perform well and to do well, I settle for more.” Being in the business for more than 20 years, she keeps company of those who she can gain more of.