How To Re-Gain Your Confidence In The Gym After A Setback

How To Re-Gain Your Confidence In The Gym After Falling Off Track

Truth is, no one likes to admit they've fallen off their workout routine.

256
https://images.pexels.com/photos/866021/pexels-photo-866021.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

These last six months of my injury have been full of blessings, like endless nights out with my friends, enjoying WAY too many sweet treats, and not stressing over my "training". But (un)fortunately, all good things come to an end, and I've found my way back into the gym, focusing on building an overall healthier and stronger body.

I'm not going to lie, I feel like a total newbie. I'm sore in places I forgot could get pretty damn sore, and I don't hold nearly as much muscle definition as I did before I was injured. I feel like I'm starting back at square one, which is very humbling!

If you're like me and wondering how and when to get back into the gym grind, here are a few tips!

1. Focus on the non-physical aspects. 

Yes, I said NON-physical aspects of working out. I found that it's super easy for me to look at myself in the mirror and point out everything I dislike and use that as motivation. But I don't believe that's the self-motivation that is most beneficial. Find your "why".

Maybe you want to fit into your old jeans or a new dress, which is cool, but maybe you really want to feel like a total bad-a**. Challenge yourself to pick three non-physical goals for working out. For example, maybe it sets your day off on the right foot, it makes you feel strong, or it makes you happier/less stressed. Shift your focus from "looking" healthy, to actually feeling healthy. There is a huge difference.

2. Ditch trying to fit into your old workout clothes.

Don't even bother trying to fit into your x-small Lulu Lemon leggings from three years ago because they probably will rip the minute you pull them over your new booty. Put on something you feel confident in! I know, for me, that means a big baggy t-shirt and loose shorts, but for some girls, it's gym shark leggings and a crop top!

Throw on whatever it is that makes you feel most comfortable. Don't think too much into what people at the gym are going to think about your outfit; you're there to get strong, mentally and physically.

3. Remember when curling 15 lbs used to be easy?

WELL. Now it's a struggle to even lift 10 lbs. Don't get down on yourself! You are a beautiful work in progress. Understand that your body spent the last few months in a different mode.

But now you're training to be better than the day before. Know that this is your new starting point, and by sticking to it, you will get right back where you used to be. Maybe even stronger!

4. Don't get caught up in the cardio trap...

I know running for an hour burns a good amount of calories for most people, but I can promise you there are other ways to feel sexy and strong. Just because cardio is a quick and effective way to burn calories and shed excess weight you gained in your downtime, it doesn't mean you "have to" love it.

I'm a marathoner, and some days I legit can't even fathom the thought of running. Look up a 10-20 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout and go for it! Chances are your body is going to love it and see results fast! I've had workouts where I'm completely dead and dripping more sweat in 30 minutes from a lifting/HIIT workout than an 80-minute run.

5. Lastly, try new things! 

HAHA! Okay, maybe don't try a wine based workout! But if you're used to working out solo, hit up your bestie and ask her to tag along! If you never tried Zumba or Soul Cycle, now is THE TIME. What's holding you back?

Variety is one of the best things for your workout routine; it prevents your body from plateauing or burning out! Don't be afraid to try something different because you may fall in love with it and find your new passion!

Whether you're overcoming an injury, took a couple months off because of the crazy life, or just need a confidence boost, I hope these five simple tips remind you why you fell in love with feeling strong and sexy in the first place. You are a beautiful work in progress, and your body is not "ruined" because you fell off track.

Know that you are on your back to a healthy lifestyle and will feel like your old self again soon, but new and improved. ;)