5 Ways To Get Through The Semester And Get To Summer

Netflix, Hulu, social media, you suck!

11
Jordan Chimento

The sunny days, 70-degree weather, baseball games, and summer seeming to be just around the corner challenges students like myself. We can slip up on school work and lose focus on what is important. Before and after spring break seem to be the times where you stay up a little later studying and drink a few more coffees than your body can actually handle. We all have those nights where we regret staying in because we are exhausted. The “I wish” starts becoming a common phrase used to help us get through the day, and the comfy clothes become our best friend. Unfortunately, we all need a little push to keep us going, to finish the semester strong, and just “get shit done”.

Here are a few tips to finish the semester strong and to feel accomplished, because if you think about it, you are about to finish one more year of school that you will never have to do again.

1. Cut The Netflix and Hulu:

These are your worst enemy. Once you find a show, your head will be stuck in your computer or TV and you will use it as the excuse to not do anything. The “one more episode” will come out of your mouth more times than you go to the gym. The show will still be there in the summer. Not only will these enemies take up your time, they take up your sleep. We all stay up a few extra hours watching shows that eat up our anxiety. Just cut it. It is not a “goodbye”, it is just a “see you later.”

2. Use Studying Also As Social Time:

A lot of times we don’t get work done or study because we all have this thing called FOMO (fear of missing out). Especially in college, we want to be everywhere, doing everything, taking millions of pictures of ourselves and friends. Study and get work done with friends. Go to an interesting spot, something other than a library or desk. Be adventurous, it will help keep you going.

3. Mix Up the Beverages:

Tea, coffee, smoothies, and thousands of other drinks. Use them. Drinking 5 cups of coffee every day gets old. It becomes a routine. You wake up, go get a coffee, and you start the day. In all reality that is boring. Use other types of drinks to get your day going. Coffee looks gross, maybe something bright and different could easily change your mood for the day. Encourage your friends to not always drink coffee with you

4. Workout:

Now I’m not saying be a gym rat and know everyone in the gym because you are there all hours of the day, but simply loosen your body up. Being around others who workout helps. Although running is a stress reliever, cardio, in general, makes you feel better. Get your anger out with boxing or calm yourself down with yoga. You need to get away from the books, and exercise is the best way. Don’t sit on a couch contemplating which ice cream flavor you want for the night.

5. Simply Think Positive:

We all have negative thoughts when things get boring or tough, but in all reality, nothing stays bad. Everything passes with time and things always get better. So push through the studying, because when summer comes around you won’t have to worry about reading a boring textbook when you are laying on the beach getting nice tan lines.

It’s hard to push through and get through the spring semester. Maybe not all of these work for you, but if you take one negative thing and turn it into a positive in your life, you will always be more successful and happier. Half way through the semester means half way closer to summer.