I Get My Lips From My Mama, Not Kylie.

I Get My Lips From My Mama, Not Kylie.

They are not Kylie Jenner Lips. They are Fatima, Maria and Shaniqua's lips.

14
I Get My Lips From My Mama, Not Kylie.
Asamia Diaby

Unlike a notable fraction of America, I don't hate the Kardashian/jenners. For about four years, I was one of the people who felt like I was a part of their family because I watched every season of every spin-off faithfully. When I got older and realized how problematic that family was, I did not regard them with anger, more disappointment, annoyance and indifference.

Many people look down on the Kardashian/Jenner family because of their plastic surgery preferences. I on the otherhand don't. I feel that if someone wants to modify their body, they should be able to as long as it isn't an unhealthy enmotional coping tactic, they are not spending money they do not have and as long as it's safe. Yes, it is odd that the Jenner girls started body modification so young and one can wonder if they felt they needed to do that just to keep up with their older sisters. But. That is not the point I am trying to make here.

My beef is not with Kylie. My beef is with societies reaction to the youngest Jenner. Kylie has notably enhanced her body,specifically her glutes and her lips. Power to her. The problem I have with this comes back to the notion that features that girls and women of color are shunned for are praised on white bodies.

For years, so many girls have been bullied because their lips are too big. They have been harassed because of their curvy bodies. They were considered too fat, but now when these features are present on other women's bodies it is okay? Shit crazy.

What is even more aggravating is the reaction within communities of color. Kylie's body is worshipped. Her light skin, full lips and curvy body is the standard. Rappers are making songs with lyrics like" shawty bad as hell, with them Kylie Jenner Lips". CUT IT OUT! Kylie doesn't even have Kylie Jenner lips. Growing up, black and hispanic girls were told they had "DSL" lips. They were degraded because of their full lips. But now, its Ok? Now its the ideal.

It's upsetting to see so many young girls worshipping Kylie's body while simultaneously hating their own. In our society, we idolize celebrities. We put them on this god-like pedestal and whenever they do something we act as though they have passed a law and everyone must follow. We wait for them to decide whats cool and whats not. It's one thing to be inspired by someone but it's another thing to not be able to think outside of the box unless someone else tells you to do so.

Ultimately, what this boils down to, is we need to stop letting none people of color establish our beauty standards. We need to be able to see our beauty without someone else telling us. Seeing our beauty should be our default setting. Let's unlearn the self-hate white supremacy instilled in us. Let's take back our power. We have been wronged. We have been conditioned to see everything about ourselves as a flaw. But once blonde hair and lightskin is thrown on it, it becomes acceptable.

You do not have Kylie Jenner lips. Kylie has your lips. You are the model so many people are emulating. Don't ever forget it.