The Generosity Within A Generation

The Generosity Within A Generation

A young generation with a zest for life, and the compassion to make a difference.

237
The Generosity Within A Generation

For weeks, there was an idea brewing in my mind, one that involved creating care packages for the homeless community in Cincinnati. Homelessness has always been an issue that has remained close to my heart, as you learn that the predicament that people are in does not define them as a person, nor does it take away from their humanity.

I wanted to do more, but on a college student budget, there is only so much a single person can do. I decided to extend this project out onto my social media, Instagram in particular, asking if people would be interested in donating $2 or $3. Within just over 24 hours, 40 individuals stepped up to the challenge, helping raise over $150 for the cause.

I am in awe. This emotion not taken over because I am surprised at the generosity of my generation, but because even though it would have been so easy to click past and ignore, so many people decided to take action and give up their own money to help benefit someone they most likely do not even know.

When I first posted this to social media, I had no idea what an impact it would create, or how many people would feel compelled to donate, but I am so elated to see the kindness and generosity that is embedded into my generation. I genuinely feel as though the people my age have a new kind of zest for life, that they actually care about others, and that they want to make a difference.

After talking to people of all ages, they seem to feel the same way about my generation. It is refreshing. Refreshing to see an entire group of young leaders who are thoughtful with their words and purposeful with their actions. These past 24 hours have yet again reminded me of all the good there is to come and the power of people joining together for a cause.

Since the post, I have had people reach out with recommendations for the packages, offering to help create and deliver them, and overall just sincere sentiments and excitement for a good cause. And I can tell you right now, that is why I am optimistic. There are no words to express my gratitude to those who have donated or reached out, showing me that you do not need to stand alone in the pursuit of doing something for others.

For me, this has become more than just a one time project; in fact, it has also renewed my faith in humanity and has shown me that there is always a way for us to come together for something that is much greater than ourselves.