The Cupcake Generation
Politics

The Cupcake Generation

Winning trophies just because we participated!

2211
The Cupcake Generation
altoday

While watching the 2016 Presidential Election on Fox News, I was intrigued by Megyn Kelly throwing out the term "Cupcake Generation." So, in typical me fashion, I pondered on it for a bit then decided to do some research. According to Urban Dictionary, millennial's favorite dictionary I might add, the cupcake generation refers to "spoiled snowflakes who've been sheltered their entire lives and have no notion of personal responsibility." The excerpts underneath the definition say "everyone gets a trophy, everyone gets an award!" and "Generation cupcake can't do wrong. Blame society, not the kids!" I was amazed at the accuracy, so I developed 3 reasons why Urban Dictionary could not be more right about my generation. If you are a snowflake and can't handle being told the truth, then you might not want to continue reading because I am not holding back.

1. I'm Right...You're Wrong

The attitude of my generation, and yes, I do say "my" because I have my moments as well, is that we can do or say no wrong. If we say the Earth is flat...by goodness the Earth is flat! Don't you dare try to say we are wrong because that would hurt our feelings. We were raised getting everything we want, and it seriously hindered us. We no longer are respectful to other's opinions. It seems no one else matters except "me." We often put the blame on other people even if we are in the wrong. As long as we get what we want everything will be okay, but if not...continue to my next statement.

2. I Get My Way...Or Else

Hillary Clinton didn't win? The world is over!

Cupcake: "Professor, I can't make it to class this morning."

Professor: "Why not? What happened?"

Cupcake: "Hillary did not win the election! I am emotionally unstable because I didn't get my way."

Professor: "No problem! You guys deserve the emotional rest and a grief period."

Our elders have basically created this generation by always giving in to our wishes and desires. So much that if something doesn't go our way, we become emotionally unstable, sensitive snowflakes. We cry and wine until someone gives us what we want. We throw tantrums until they give in. The "or else" part takes effect in my statement below.

3. Protest, Protest, and Protest Some More

Since Hillary Clinton did not win the election, we must protest the government, the electoral college, and every person who voted for Donald Trump! How dare someone else have a different opinion than me. That is utterly absurd and unacceptable! We will burn the flag, shout derogatory remarks, and vandalize buildings to make sure America knows how mad we are about not getting our way. We do not care how ignorant we look.

Closing Statement:

Now that you know the attributes of person apart of the Cupcake Generation, you should know not every person in my generation is like this. Myself, along with many others have a good head on our shoulders. We do believe protesting is a civil right we have under the Constitution of the U.S. It can be a great thing when used appropriately, but we also know protesting something that you wouldn't typically protest had things gone your way is absolutely ridiculous. We just can't wrap our heads around the fact someone wants to protest against our country. Burning flags and vandalizing buildings is not something to be proud of. It shows you are a spoiled rotten, disrespectful person who frankly does not deserve to live in this great country! Men and women died so that we could have our freedom, and you are spitting on them with your obnoxious, rude, disrespectful behavior. Throwing a fit because you do not get your way is not the way to behave. Personally, I do not blame society. I do believe society played a role in encouraging this behavior, but when it comes down to it, each individual person chooses how he or she will act. You can choose to be a part of the problem and the Cupcake Generation, or you can choose to rise above it and be a part of the solution. The choice is yours, and I beg of you, choose wisely.