Who Your GCU Hate Email's Really Gets Sent To

Who Your GCU Hate Email Really Gets Sent To

It is not who you think.

244

Due to Grand Canyon University not allowing Ben Shapiro to speak at our university, GCU as a whole has been receiving a lot of hate. Just a recap in case you do not know what is going on, Shapiro was scheduled to speak at Grand Canyon University and they eventually decided that they would not provide a venue for him. This was due to three things according to Spencer Brown's article on Young America's Foundation. According to Brown, GCU administration stated that Shapiro is not good for the school long-term, he approaches topics with a divisive atmosphere and GCU wants to maintain its culture of unity, love, respect and having all student voices on campus heard.

The author of that article makes the argument that they want to hear everyone's voice unless they are conservative, which is not the case! GCU is extremely inclusive to people all of all races, genders, sexualities, and religions. They have also had a number of other speakers like Charlie Kirk and Allie Stuckey that are conservative as well. The difference with those speakers is that they present themselves in a respectful manner, which is not always the case with Shapiro. GCU wants to include all voices, but not when they will be teaching young minds to be disrespectful.

Anyways, the aftermath of GCU not allowing Ben Shapiro to speak has come in like a tsunami. Plenty of hate emails, calls and other projections have been coming to the school. People have been sending threats to pull their kids out of school, calling GCU nazi's, and making some other terrible remarks. A large majority of this hate has been sent via email to the address listed on the GCU website. People are hiding behind their screens in order to be hateful and this is something that has become a huge problem with the increase in technology.

When people send these emails to GCU, they expect Brian Mueller himself to see them. Well he might, I do not know. I just know one thing: who runs the marketing email listed on the GCU website. Me. When these hate emails get sent to GCU, I receive them. I am a 20-year-old, college student, that happens to have the student worker position where I run the account. Of course, I forward all emails, including the hateful ones, to the appropriate person; but I still have to sit and read every single one to screen where they go.

When these emails get sent, I have no idea what happens after my role. I do not know what the aftermath is or anything after I see them and forward them. But I do know how it makes me feel when I read the emails. When this hate mail gets sent to GCU, you are not affecting those you think you are. You are affecting a college-aged girl that is just trying to make a living in college. You are not stabbing Brian Mueller in the heart.

Next time you want to send hateful email's, think about the chain of command and who you might be hurting overall.