I’m A Girl Who Likes Girls And These 8 Artists Influenced My Life
Dating

These artists have been here throughout significant points of 2018.

1294

When I hear about a girl who has deep and true feelings for another girl, it makes me less afraid express my true identity. Music has always been there as a safe haven to steer me away from being shut down by people who abide by societal norms. From songs about unrequited love to being in love, or anything in between, these 9 badass ladies are fearless when it comes to singing about their emotions. Some of these artists cover the other such as Abbey Glover covering Girl in Red's "I wanna be your girlfriend" and Girl In Red covering King Princess' "Talia". If you're a girl who admires girls, you should definitely listen to listen to the following:

1. King Princess

King Princess "1950" Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNxWTS25Tbk

With about 5 million views on YouTube and over 140 million listens on Spotify, King Princess' song "1950" quickly gained popularity within a few months. She is becoming an icon for the LGBTQ+ community worldwide because of her music. Makayla Strauss (King Princess) is undeniably beautiful in the sense that she is quirky, talented and unique in her music style and how she presents herself through media.

Before I came out as bisexual, I watched her music videos and a part of me would think yup, I definitely fancy girls. Moments before I finally got the courage to come out, I couldn't help but think of a specific girl who I fell for during that time. We had listened to "1950" together in the car on our drive home about a month prior. "So, I'll wait for you, I'll pray. I will keep on waiting for your love." These lyrics comforted me as I typed my coming out article.

2. Girl In Red 

Girl In Red "Girls" Music Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMBDY01kPk

Girl In Red has a song for every emotion that you are going through. Her song "I wanna be your girlfriend" explains how desperately she wants to pursue a loving relationship with a girl named Hannah, "Oh Hannah, tell me something nice, like flowers and blue skies." At one point or another, I think that there is always one girl that we would love to call our own, but know that the love will not be reciprocated, and that can be frustrating. She also writes songs regarding mental illness and the reasons why girls are so lovable.

3. Dodie Clark

Dodie Clark

Bubbly, funny and adorable musician Dodie Clark shocked some her fans when she came out as bisexual two years ago but hinted at the fact that she fancied girls her 2014 song titled "She". Dodie creatively writes her lyrics based on her life experiences and turns them into melodies that will melt your heart and give you the feels.

4. Ally Hills

Ally Hills cover video of Panic at the Disco's "Girls/Girls/Boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmVGouFE_M

Ally Hills is a young woman who does not take life too seriously and that is evident in her non-music related videos, yet she becomes very serious when she has a guitar in her hands. With over two million views on YouTube, Ally Hill's cover of Panic At The Disco's "Girls/Girls/Boys" will send tingles up your spine. Her haunting yet flawless voice brings the lyrics "love is not a choice" to life. She also covers several other songs and has originals such as "Space" and "Wrong", which happen to both be about the break up between her and her girlfriend at the time.

Like many musicians, Ally and I relate because on a personal level. There is no better way for us to express how we feel about someone or about something than picking up a guitar and writing about it. We let the songs do the talking, and how each individual perceives the message is the best part about writing lyrics.

5. Matilda 

Matilda "You" music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFuXavCVgo

This acoustic indie and pop band will definitely catch you in the feels, especially if you currently have a crush. "Now things are a bit complicated, you're with her and I've been datin', jealousy strikes. Could you tell me why?", she sings in her hit song "You". This song also relevantly mentions jealousy, which can be an emotion that is easily felt when you really have feelings towards someone.

6. Abbey Glover 

Abbey Glover "YOUR GIRLFRIEND'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0nqCgRhKI

Abbey is usually found playing the ukulele while sitting in her bathtub, singing her heart out for the things that she is passionate about. Known for her song "I Wish You Liked Girls", she boldly sings about a love that was not meant to be.

7. Julien Baker 

Julien Baker "Appointments" Music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdBu21i9aEE

Grab a box of tissues because there Julien's songs are usually about her mental illness and trying to overcome them. She has definitely had her heart broken several times and her songs definitely explain that. Listen to her song called "Appointments."

8. Hayley Kiyoko 

Hayley Kiyoko "What I Need" music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynKelHGhNc

Known as "Lesbian Jesus", Hayley Kiyoko is a singer-songwriter, choreographer, and dancer. Her music videos are basically mini-movies. She is an icon in the LGBTQ+ community and writes all of her songs about what it means to love a woman. If you haven't seen her yet, check out her music video "Girls Like Girls" or "What I Need".

All of these young artists are in their early 20's, which makes each one of these artists' songs more relatable to me. This past summer I had a boyfriend which resulted in a breakup and then in me pursuing a relationship with my first girl. In 20 gay-teen these artists are thriving by constantly bringing positivity to girls who like girls. I admire each and every one of them because they make it clear that it is okay to be yourself in a world that tells you that you cannot. The biggest thing that they have educated me about is that it is okay to be a girl who likes a girl and that my feelings are valid.