LGBT Artists

4 LGBT+ Artists that Deserve Your recognition

Queer people do in fact exist outside of Pride month and deserve recognition for their talents.

94

As Pride month came to an end, I began to notice a widespread phenomenon. Fewer people seemed concerned about the queer community. Despite what seems to be the apparent belief, though, queer people do exist outside of the month of June. They stress over the finale of "Ru Paul's Drag Race," listen to "ABBA" on repeat, and most importantly, they create. Or maybe that's just me. However, there are many talented LGBT+ artists who have produced art through both their music and accompanying videos. Their creativity and talent deserves recognition, even outside of Pride month. Here's a list of only a portion of stunning LGBT+ artists.

1. Zolita

Instagram

Unapologetically queer, Zolita's album "Sappho" is an ode to her identity. A proud lesbian and feminist, Zolita's music is a combination of both R&B and Pop. Her music conquers topics such as religion and sexuality with ease and she uses her music videos as a platform to share detailed narratives. While this may ultimately be a biased opinion, the music video for "Holy" is by far one of her best and it has nothing to do with "The Handmaiden's Tale" vibes it lets off.

2. King Princess

Instagram

Mikaela Strauss, otherwise known as King Princess, is the non-binary, queer artist you never knew you needed in your life. Her vocals are astounding for someone only 19-years-old and you may know her from her breakout song 1950. Her music videos are binge-worthy, as each one depicts a story such as in "Talia," which was edited by Mikaela's close friend Amandla Stenberg. Her debut EP, "Make My Bed" is stocked full of songs to complete your Summer playlists.

3. Janelle Monáe

Instagram

Janelle Monáe is an artist who uses music as an outlet. After the release of her "Make Me Feel" music video, she came out as pansexual, thus shedding light on the too often ignored term. By embracing herself, she aided in empowering both fans and casual listeners. As a queer black women, Monáe and her music are both wonderful additions to the LGBT+ community.

4. Kim Petras

Instagram

With a start on Youtube, Kim Petras was most notable for her early gender transition as she began the process around the time when she was 13-years-old. The German artist started posting covers on her Youtube channel, though she later transitioned into the music industry with her debut single "I Don't Want It All." An avid advocate for LGBT+ rights, Kim is definitely an artist you need to add to your Spotify. Or Apple Music if you're into that.