Less accepted games for gamers

The Unconventional Gamer Girl

Why all video games should warrant their players the title of "gamer".

114

I spend ridiculous amounts of time in front of my laptops. I technically own three, but one is only used for parts at this point. I have a small purple one that I use for school and watching Netflix or YouTube; I also have a bigger one that I use for literally everything else. I bought the big one for gaming so that is its main purpose.

I have all the expansion packs for the PC version of the Sims 3 and working on obtaining all of the Sims 4 packs. According to Origin, the games' distributor, I have played the Sims 3 for approximately 1,159 hours and the Sims 4 for approximately 781 hours. Those numbers sound crazy, even to me, but I remember just last week when I sat down at 7 pm and looked at the clock and it was suddenly 2 am.

If you are wondering why the title of this article is called unconventional, it is because when I tell people I play the Sims games they act like it's not a real game. With the recent Fortnite trend, I don't see how playing a virtual version of hide and seek with building and guns is any more of a real game besides the majority of players being male.

Another more popular game I play is Minecraft. While most people are not surprised by this fact, I have been described as a Minecraft expert by some friends of mine. I own the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Pocket Edition versions of the game. If I'm not playing other games, I will watch other people play Minecraft on YouTube. I even watched a five-hour stream before. This experience does not mean I know absolutely everything about the game. I learn something new every once in a while. I recently even found a $2,000 scholarship that I plan on working on that only requires an essay about the educational value of Minecraft.

While I have spent many hours and a lot of money on video games, at the end of the day I know that I fit the profile of a gamer despite how random people treat me when I mention it. I genuinely enjoy my hobbies and that is what matters to me.