6 Strategies To Gain A More Positive Outlook On Life

Write at least 3 good things that happened to you today in a journal every day and use this journal as a reminder when things aren't going well.

155
ASF World Cafe

As my sophomore year of college draws to a close, I realized something that has taken me too many years to realize. I've never been an overly optimistic person. I wish I had a reason for it, but I don't. I can blame it on my depression and anxiety, but they're both a part of me, therefore, I guess being a little bit of a "negative Nellie" has always been in my nature. However, I'm starting to realize, and this has taken me a few too many years to realize, that negativity isn't doing me any good. My negative outlook has thankfully hindered my academic ability, but it has most definitely affected my social life and how I interact with other people. So now, at age twenty, I have decided to take a more positive outlook on my life.

In order, though, to gain this more positive outlook, I have to use certain strategies and develop a growth mindset. I have come up with a few strategies that have been helping me gain a more positive outlook in the last few weeks.

1. 3 Good Things

Write at least 3 good things that happened to you today in a journal every day and use this journal as a reminder when things aren't going well. These good things could be a meal, an interaction, the weather, your outfit, or anything that made your day just a little better.

2. Find 1 Positive

When you're having a really rough day or something went completely wrong, find one thing that could be turned into a positive or something that might be able to help you in the future. This is not easy at all and it takes practice. It can be extremely frustrating, but just as rewarding.

3. Do Something For Yourself

Every day, you need to do something for yourself. Watch a funny YouTube video, a movie, or an episode of a TV show. Or maybe paint a picture, sit outside if the weather is nice, catch up with a friend, treat yourself to a coffee or something yummy. All of these things help you feel better about your day and give you a second or two to take a step back for yourself, which in return, will help you look at the rest of your day with more positivity.

4. Smile

This sounds a little silly, but smiling even when you're not happy releases endorphins which will make your smile real (something that is really unique and makes me smile just thinking about it).

5. Make a List

This one I always have fun with. I like to make lists of reasons to smile so when I feel down or unsure, I have a resource to use in the future. And making this list also helps you find the good things in the world, which helps you find the positivity and optimism that is necessary to change your outlook.

6. Add "Yet" to the End of Every Negative Statement

My headmistress from my high school taught me this neat trick. If you add the word "yet" to the end of a negative statement, you automatically make it positive and change your mindset from fixed to growth, another step in the right direction toward positivity.

None of these things are easy and they take time to get good at, but if you commit to these strategies, they will help you in the long run. Remember, I don't have a positive outlook... yet.