Why I Don't Like Gabbie Hanna

Unpopular Opinion: I Don't Really Like Gabbie Hanna

No tea, no shade.

8913
https://www.instagram.com/thegabbieshow/?hl=en
Gabbie Hanna [@thegabbieshow]. (2018, April 8). Instagram.

For those who don't know, Gabbie Hanna, formerly known as TheGabbieShow, is a very popular YouTuber with a very large number of subscribers. She started off on the app Vine (RIP IMYSM) making six-second sketches. She had a pretty big following on there too. Gabbie does anything from storytimes to dance videos with her friends. Now, she creates music and is working on an album as well as having her own poetry book called "Adultolescence."

Now, don't get me wrong, I really didn't mind Gabbie at first. I always watched her vines, and I still do subscribe to her on YouTube and watch some of her videos. I used to be obsessed with binge-watching her vlog channel videos because of how interesting they were. However, like most people do, Gabbie changed.

Gabbie used to hang out with David Dobrik and their friends. They went out together, did special events, and funny pranks in their houses. Gabbie went to every premiere and event, and it was fun to watch. When her book came out, she went on a book tour. I actually even almost went to see her because I fell in love (and still am) with the book. It's a beautifully written, drawn-out book, and it's the one thing of hers I really do love still. After her book tour, she started doing more traveling, but it felt like the elements of fun and business were separated.

She would forget to post videos, or they were ones where you could tell she was reaching hard for. She always was doing something and making it into a "_ part video" even though it wasn't too funny the first time. In a few of her videos, she would go on the Musical.ly app and remake ones that she called "cringy" or "f*ck-boy/girl." Honestly, the Musical.ly app just sucked overall, but since she used it herself she knew that it would appeal to an audience. I watched the video thinking it would be so funny, but of course, my expectations were not met. Maybe younger kids found her flinging her body around dramatically reenacting things funny, but as an older teen/young adult watching her do that, I just didn't think it was good. As if the Musical.ly videos weren't embarrassing enough, she was adding movement that wasn't originally there, grinding her body up against walls dramatically, or making "funny" drawn out expressions to look sexual. I remember sitting there with one of those "this is not funny at all and is making me feel uncomfortable but let's see if it gets better" faces, but it never got better.

Gabbie also makes storytimes that are very drawn out or dramatized. Many of them are given a different title to draw in views and get attention, and almost every story video consists of her screaming something that isn't actually that dramatic. Don't get me wrong, some storytime videos are so funny that I've found myself in tears, but the annoyingly obvious fake ones or dramatized ones aren't funny at all. If any normal person can sit around and tell stories without making them bigger than they were and still get laughs, YouTubers can do it too. Of course, everyone wants as much attention as they can get, but if you're YOU and being YOURSELF, people will still love you. People should love the real you, not an act. And if they don't like you for who you are, then they weren't really your fans, friends, or followers.

Recently, Gabbie went through a bad breakup. Like any other younger adult in the dating world, she thought she had found someone that would be picture perfect for her, and then he turned out to be a heartbreaker. She wasn't public on who the man was and likes her privacy, which is okay for someone as popular as her—even stars deserve a private life. However, after the breakup was said and done, she went on her channel to explain why she hasn't been herself. I watched the video, and honestly, it was a normal one. Nothing cringe-worthy, no trying to be someone she's not. It was the raw video of her emotionally explaining what happened.

However, a few days later, she decided to then make a series out of her ex. Talking to him, talking more about him, finding old texts, getting packages, spilling the tea, and crying over him near-Trisha Paytas style. That's where I was irked. I find it annoying that she literally sat down and recorded a video saying how she wanted to move on with this part of her life and stop thinking about him. She wanted to leave him in the past and better herself instead of making stupid mistakes again. That video must've done great with views and comments, making her eager for more. Crying over an ex and being upset is one thing. Subjecting yourself to involvement in their life again, hurting you, is another. She was over-dramatic, angry, and upset.

I find that Gabbie constantly does that. She complains about her love-life or an ex and then keeps drawing out the subject because people are interested. And yet, later on, she's still hurting and crying on her Instagram story asking why.

In the weirdest way without sounding mean, I feel like Gabbie thinks that she is more powerful than she is. Having power is great, feeling confident is amazing, but using your power in a negative way from time to time is not. Once you are a celebrity, a lot of people of all ages look up to you and the choices you make. They look up to how you act and what you do, especially if you're sharing it all publicly. Instead of remaking Musical.ly videos, she should be telling funny stories that were true or doing funny challenges. Instead of going back and hounding on an ex, she should be making videos about how to get over them or to help someone who is getting over them.

A lot of younger kids follow Gabbie. As we know clearly from the insane things the generation below us has already done, they follow or pick-up on things too easily. They are easily influenced and don't really know right from wrong yet. As such a popular person, Gabbie has the ability to guide the kids in the 'right' category, instead of showing them bad things.

I will give it to Gabbie, she's pretty, smart, great at singing, and funny. But she drags out the traits she has for more attention when she didn't need to in the first place. In vlogs or storytimes where she is being herself, she is so funny.

So no, I don't despise Gabbie Hanna, I'm not spilling the tea or throwing any shade, I'm just stating an opinion and a few reasons why I don't really find myself going out of my way to hear or see her.