The Future May Be Scary, But I Will Always Welcome It With Open Arms

I am ready for what is to come.

199
rawpixel

Although it may be summer, a time where you shouldn't be thinking about school, lately it has been all that I can think about. It started toward the end of the semester when I met up with my advisor. I sat in the swivel chair next to their desk, ready to have them explain what prerequisites I would have to take come fall.

She looked at up my name, looked at my schedule paper, then looked up at me. I was taken back when she explained to me that I only had one more general education course to take. She advised me to follow my track form major and do some research on what classes would be best to take. It was a few hours after I left when I realized that my major wasn't what it was supposed to be and I was about to embark on my future career.

Up until this point, I was a Human Communication major. I had chosen this major back when I first applied to UCF because I was unsure. The major was in the field I wanted and I figured that it was broad enough that I could do several things with the degree. Whenever someone would ask me what my major was, I would respond "Human Communications, but I want to be in the journalism field." They would question why I wasn't just a journalism major....and they were right to. Why wasn't I diving head first into exactly what I want to do?

To be honest, it scared me. It still does. I am always hearing that "print is a dying field." I am nervous to put my all into something and not get the outcome that I want. Everyone wants to be successful. I hope to move away and work for a big publication. I love to write and I really couldn't see myself doing anything else. After exploring UCF's class search and googling professors, I decided upon two journalism classes to take in the fall. I had officially submitted the major change for "Journalism: Pending."

Pending because I have to eventually apply and get into the school for journalism. That is my current goal I am working towards. I get excited reading reviews of the class I plan to take in fall. I know that I made the right choice to take the risk with this major.

They say that if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. I don't want a job, I want a passion. I am not one of those girls who will be satisfied being a stay at home mom. I want a career. I want to be extraordinary. I will not rest until I'm exactly where I want to be. Hopefully, I'll be in New York, but we'll see where the roads take me.

The future can be a scary thing, but I have this new profound sense of determination and I am ready to welcome it with open arms.