Why My Future Kids Will Come Before My Career

Family is more important than a paycheck
16

"What is your biggest aspirations in life?"

I want to be a wife and mom.

When I tell people that my goals in life are to get married and have kids, I typically get an eye roll. The people I tell this to will take pity on me because I want to be a mom, and being this young and looking forward to being a mom and a wife equates to unambitious.

They'll think that just because one of my biggest goals in life is old-fashioned, I have no career goals, I'll be a stay at home mom for the rest of my life, and solely depend on my future husband to provide an take care of me.

It kind of comes as a shock when I tell the same person that I'm studying law and politics, and after I graduate from college I plan on heading to law school where I learn to practice criminal law.

Don't get me wrong, I want a career. I want to become a prosecuting attorney because that's what I'm passionate about. I'm passionate about the law and not letting those who break it get away with it. I'm passionate about righting wrongs and using the justice system to fix it. I want to be able to live my passion and get to do it every day.

But the thing is, I've changed what I've wanted to be so many times in my life. I wanted to be a princess, an astronaut, a meteorologist, an author, and a teacher. But something I have always wanted to be is a mom.

I want to raise my future children the way my parents raised me. I want to teach them to love the Lord with all their heart. I want to teach them that family always comes first, and no matter what family will always be there for them and always have their back. I want to teach them the importance of education and learning as much as they possibly can. I want to teach them that dreams don't have to stay dreams, and if they want something and work hard enough for it, it can happen.

And the thing is, I don't care when it happens.

If I'm a junior in college, married, with one kid and another on the way, I won't care, I'll be happy even. I won't think that my life is ruined, and I can't follow my dreams anymore just because I get married and have kids. If anything it will motivate me to work harder at school to make my kids proud of their mom.

I'm not going to compromise my dream of being a mom just because it doesn't fit with my career. My future family will always come first in my life, and my career will come right after. Whether it's me staying home and taking care of the kids, or my future husband.

Either way, I'll make it work because family isn't about convenience. It's about love.