An Open Letter To My New Best Friends

An Open Letter To My New Best Friends

Everything I have to say to the future people who will change my life in college.
10

Hi.

You don't know me very well yet, but in a few months we will be inseparable. We will do everything together and spend most of our free time in each other's dorm rooms or out hiking or exploring. You will know everything about me and still love me unconditionally. We will stay up late in the middle of the week watching movies and talking about life, or going on midnight cookie runs when we know we really shouldn't. You will become my best friends, or at least my new ones. But before all of that happens there are some things you should know.

First, there are people back home or at different colleges who are also my best friends. I cared and loved about them long before I knew you existed, and that will never change. Please don't feel like you're doing something wrong if sometimes I need to call them and talk to them about something instead of you. It's just that they know everything about my past and were there for a lot of my life growing up. I promise that in time I will trust you enough to tell you all of the things that they know and I will come to you when I need you. Maybe one day you will get to meet them and we can all be friends.

I have a lot of baggage that I carry with me. We all do. I need you to know that I am fragile and can break down pretty easily over dumb things. I get emotional and probably cry more than I should. I'm going to lean on you for a lot of things. I get hurt pretty easily even when you're not intentionally being mean and I take stuff pretty personally. Sometimes I'm extremely clumsy and you may be embarrassed to be seen out in public with me. I won't hesitate to call you out on things but I will also try to be understanding. I complain a lot also, in case you haven't already picked up on that from the few days we've known each other.

But I'm also a lot of fun. I know how to have a good time and can always make an adventure out of simple situations. I can't do your makeup because I don't know how, but I will always be there as a model when you need someone to practice on. I will stand by you regardless of the situation and I promise to love you with everything that is in me. I will keep your secrets and be there to come running to your room in the middle of the night when you need me. I will be your gym buddy (at least the few times we actually find motivation to go to the gym). I won't get sick of your jokes no matter how lame they are and I promise to always be your escape when creepy guys (or girls) try to hit on you. I will be your safe place to come home to and I will hold you when you need someone there to cry to. I will respect your personal space though, and give you some alone time when you need it. I will never fail to bring you a pint of ice-cream after you have gotten an A on a test or a gallon of ice-cream after you've failed one.

Letting you into my life will be a challenge. I'm so attached to the friends I have made at home and I feel like having new best friends will be betraying them. But I know I have to move on, and that they will always hold a place in my heart. I know the same goes for them. I wish them the best in everything that I do and I'm thankful they were in my life for the time period that they were.

I'm so excited to meet you and have you in my life. College is a scary time, but I know you will make it easier. I care about you already.

With love,

Your future college best friend.