33 Fun Indy 500 Facts to Share This Race Weekend

Learn more about one of the biggest Hoosier Traditions!

4340
Sporting News

This Race Day, brag a little about your knowledge of the biggest Hoosier tradition: the Indianapolis 500! Check out these 33 fun facts about the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

1. The Indy 500 is actually held in Speedway, Indiana; a town that was built around the IMS.

2. The 500 Festival Parade is the third biggest in the nation.

3. The first race was held in 1911 and was won at a speed of 74 mph.

4. If you lined all the hotdogs and bratwursts sold on race day at the track, it would wrap around 3 times.

5. The events leading up to the race--known as the 500 Festival--started in 1957 with a parade and a square dance gala.

6. It's known as the Brickyard; the track originally was made of hand-laid brick.

7. Rear-view mirrors started at the Indy 500 (Thanks, Ray Harroun!)

8. Danica Patrick is one of 9 women who have run the race, with the highest finish.

9. This year, Pippa Mann is the only woman running.

10. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is considered the largest sport venue in the world.

11. 200 is the magic number.

It takes 200 laps for racers to complete the 500 miles.

12. When in doubt--it's 33.

33 drivers, 33 directors, 33 princesses, 33 pace cars!

13. There are only 3 racers who have won the race 4 times.

14. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway was founded by Carl Fisher.

15. The IMS opened with balloon races originally.

16. It is a tradition that the winner drinks a bottle of milk upon winning.

Thanks, Louis Meyer!

17. Each lap is 2.5 miles.

18. In 1981, it took around 5 months to declare a winner after a controversial finish.

Bobby Unser finished a whole 5 seconds before Mario Andretti, but due to a penalty they revoked his win and gave it to Andretti. Unser and his owner, Roger Penske, challenged the penalty and eventually, he regained the victory.

19. Originally, racers had to have an additional passenger--a ride-in mechanic.

20. Eddie Rickenbacker, the famous WWI pilot, raced the 500 four times and later purchased the track.

21. Jules Goux won in 1913 after chugging champagne at every pitstop.

In 1914, drinking and driving in the race was outlawed.

22. Winners get their faces sculpted onto the trophy.

23. The IMS is bigger than several famous landmarks, including the Coliseum, the Vatican City, and Churchill Downs, among others.

24. The track was almost sold to real estate developers in 1945.

25. There are only 4 sporting venues that are older than the IMS.

They are Old St. Andrews, Churchill Downs, the All-England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, and Saratoga Race Course.

26. Tickets to the Square Dance Gala, called the Governor's Ball, were $5 a couple.

27. Of 9 women, 6 countries are represented.

28. The Indy 500 is broadcast worldwide, in over 200 countries.

29. The fastest lap clocked is 237.498 mph.

30. In 1916, the race was intentionally shortened to 300 miles.

31. One winner actually ran 505 miles before winning.

Jacques Villeneuve drove to victory even after a two-lap penalty at the beginning of the race.

32. The youngest racer to ever win the 500 was Troy Ruttman at 22!

33. Alexander Rossi won the 100th running of the 500 in 2016--as a rookie.