From The Girl Still On Life's Rollercoaster

Life is a rollercoaster, but it's about what you do while you're on it.

10

I’m pretty sure we have all had those days where we feel as if everything is falling apart. I’m pretty sure we have all had those days where we feel as if nothing will ever be back to the way they used to be.

When times get tough it’s easy to think the worse of a situation.

I’ve had a pretty rough past year. It’s always been one bad thing on top of the other and I will be honest and say that I had thought about giving up all of my hopes and dreams and just accept what was happening.

However, the people in my life made me realize that wasn’t a choice for me. They’ve spoken about all the hard work I have put into my life already, told me about what they want to see me accomplish, and that one way or another things will get figured out.

Lo and behold, they have been starting to become figured out. It’s taken nearly a year, but things are lining up.

We may not notice that the people that come into our lives come into it for a reason, but when the time comes they really come through.

Sometimes those people are a new friend who just gets you. Sometimes those people are in a form of a boyfriend or girlfriend, or even a new extended family. Sometimes they’re in the form of complete strangers. Anyhow, these people are brought to you for a reason and you just have to realize that.

This past year has been a rollercoaster that has made me nauseous, made me scream, made me cry, and made me wish every night just to get off of it, but most of all its taught me that life is unexpected and while you may not be able to control the turns it takes, at the end of it will be a new beginning.

Recently, it’s seemed that my rollercoaster has taken a coasting turn where new beginnings are personally happening. As my first year of college wraps up I’ve seen how much I’ve grown and all the experiences I was able to earn.

I’m not completely off the hook with my rollercoaster yet, but at least I was given this opportunity to start rebuilding what has fallen apart and try to redefine what my life goals are.

I know I will continue to pursue my college degree. I will keep becoming a journalist, a writer, an editor, and working in media and industry law. My mindset has expanded and I’ve found what truly interests me. Journalism isn’t just journalism for me anymore, but instead it has made me realize it’s about being in the center of the action, getting the story, and helping the public better understand it. That’s why through this first year at college, my rollercoaster has helped me realize I want to concentrate in investigative reporting.

That’s just one of the huge things that I’ve learned. I also found I like working behind the scenes of productions – something I would have never known without trying. I found out I’m good with my hands, so now setting up galleries is something I’m moving towards. I found out I’m okay with not having my life completely set up, but I know what I want out of it.

Having the people I love by my side makes everything so much easier, even if I still encounter those days of unpredictability. My rollercoaster is not at a complete stop yet, and it never will be, but at least for now it’s coasting the turns and allowing me to move forward once again.

Having a plan is always the best thing, but sometimes that plan is about learning how to work with what you are given and create a new plan from that.

The man I love always has plan A-Z, 1, 2, and 3 always ready in a given situation. Through this rollercoaster of a year, that is one of the most important things I have learned; always having a back-up plan is the best plan. Some can be realistic and some can be absurd, but at least they’re there if you need them because you never know when you will.

So, we all have those times of feeling as if we’re on a never ending rollercoaster, but just know that sooner or later that ride will slow down and you can start rebuilding everything that’s gotten messed up along the way.

Life is unpredictable. No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow, but the best thing you can do is accept what is going on and think about how you are going to move forward from the situation.

The last step is executing those plans that you’ve made. It’s not worth it to just think about it all, but it all shows when you go out and prove that the things life throws at you are nothing, and that you are stronger, and that you are capable of pursing anything you put your mind to.