From Page To Screen, The Awareness That '13 Reasons Why' Brings

Let Hannah Baker's story be your guide.

6

There are many different reactions to the new Netflix series that was based off of the novel 13 Reason’s Why, but I think we can all agree that it does bring a type of awareness that needs to be spoken about more.

Whether you hate it or love it, it has gotten people to speak about the controversial topic of suicide. The truth of the matter is that suicide is a real thing that happens every day, and it could be for the very simple reason of someone being misunderstood. Obviously there are a lot of reasons that drive a person to the point of taking their own lives, but Hannah Baker is no different from the friends and family members we all come across in life that have gotten to this point of desperation.

Hannah Baker is a symbol for those who can no longer be a symbol for themselves, she sets a tone by the way that her behaviors change throughout the show (and novel,) and she shows what to look for if you feel that someone you love has been acting different.

Maybe it is important to look at this as not just a novel turned television show, but as a real guide for how we should treat the people in our lives. Sometimes, something as simple as a hello, or a simple, can make a world of difference, and paying kindness forward can save a life.

What I learned from this was that saving someone from loneliness is the same thing as saving their lives.

Suicide is a real issue that needs to be spoken about. We all go through things that destroy us, and sometimes those things make us question whether or not it is worth it to continue, but I hope there is inspiration somewhere in you to keep going, and to be on the other side of it, and become the helping hand.

We can’t know what people are thinking or feeling 24/7, but what I think we can all learn from Hannah Baker’s story is that even the slightest positive energy could have saved her life, it could save anyone’s.

Instead of this being just the next Netflix binge, let this be a reminder that we all need a little hope sometimes, we all need support, and someone is there for you, and will help you.

Things will get better, someone will make sure of that.

I hope 13 Reason’s Why gives you the want for a better future not just for yourself but for those around you, and I hope Hannah’s story makes you feel something, no matter what side you are on, the hopeful or the hopeless, let 13 Reason’s Why be your reason to change. Sometimes, we all need a reason.

Always remember, it gets better.(: