From The Inside Out
Politics

From The Inside Out

We must strive to be better everyday -- be kind, be understanding, be an example of leadership in a world that is desperately seeking hope.

7
From The Inside Out
Caroline Connly

Inside out.

This is the feeling that millions of Americans have regarding the results of the recent presidential election. Whether you wanted Donald Trump to win or not, the transition of power in the Oval Office cannot be taken lightly. It is important to recognize our feelings of anger, fear, or triumph. These feelings mean you actually stand for something.

These feelings are indicative of a powerful reality that you actually stand for something and are passionate about what you believe in. You should take immense pride in the fact that your values have and will continue to shape who you are as a person. For anyone to diminish your feelings about this chaotic election is wrong, but it is equally wrong for any of us to diminish the feelings of others.

Inside out. Who we are and who we want to become originates from within. How we choose to handle this unexpected turn of events will shape the future of our country.

I have learned that in life there are things we have control over and there are most certainly things we do not have control over. Who you are, where you were born and your social class are all predetermined before you entered this world. Life isn’t fair. No one gets it all.

The opportunity to vote is such a powerful privilege. As Americans, we have the power to have our voices heard. Unfortunately, other voices are sometimes louder and our thoughts become overshadowed. We feel broken and distraught; feelings that are not to be ignored, but we cannot allow these feelings to destroy our faith in one another.

As my Dad always says to me, the most important things in life are not things at all— they are people. Our future relationship with one another, especially those who we do not agree with our political stance will be the driving force behind the prosperity of our country.

Instead of disregarding the opinions of others about the election outcome, we need to reflect on and reshape our own ideas and attitudes from the inside out. Looking at both of the candidates, I am sure we can all agree that neither of them are perfect by any means. We need to look at our future president and instill the change that we desperately want to see in him, within ourselves first.

Being good from the inside out is not easy. To love and respect those most important to you is naturally easy for most of us, but to love those views and beliefs are contrary to our own is difficult. However, we must strive to move forward everyday— to be kind, understanding, and an example of leadership in a world that is desperately seeking hope.

We must always strive to live a good, and decent life. The election is now beyond our control, but how we respond to Donald Trump’s victory is within our control. We need to be an example of hope, justice and peace. We need to prove to the rest of the world that the United States will continue to flourish and grow as a nation.

The future success of the United States as a nation begins inside each one of us. The United States is the most powerful country in the world and I am so unbelievably proud to call it my home. My family has fought for this country for generations and I refuse to allow anyone to take away my unwavering pride as an American citizen. Going forward, we all need to display love and respect for one another -- from the inside out.