From The Girl Who Doesn't Really Care For The 'College Experience'

College isn’t what they call the “best time of your life” for everyone.

253
Missouri

I’m halfway finished with my first semester of college, and it just hit me that I haven’t done anything that college kids “typically” do.

I haven’t been to a football game, haven’t been to a club or a party, haven’t tailgated, and haven’t really made many friends, but then I realized that I don’t really care to do those things. I’d rather hang out with my family on the weekend than go party hopping. I’d rather be able to get up and go to class/work on a weekday feeling great, rather than be hungover. I’d rather stay in on a Friday night and watch movies or go on a date with my boyfriend than try to find a party to go to that night.

I believe that most people come to a big university to get that whole experience, but I came to get a degree. I didn’t take the parties or the sororities or the tailgates into consideration when choosing a college; I had a degree in mind. I have a desire to make everyone around me proud.

There is such a stigma nowadays on how a college kid is presumed to act. It’s a stereotype. They expect you to move into your dorm, immediately click with people, rush for those sororities and say its the best decision you’ve ever made, date that frat boy, party any chance you get, etc. You are anticipated to make the most out of your college experience, and while that is reasonable, there are other ways to thrive in college.

I did not come for the parties, freedom, huge lecture halls, beautiful campus, sororities, or even the great academic programs. I came because I wanted a degree, and I felt that a smaller college wouldn’t suffice. I’m not interested in those attributes of college, and that is completely normal. Everyone is different and has different interests. I would rather get this over with and settle down, and you would rather take your time and take it all in. Either way, it is okay.

So, stop judging girls who are different than you. Don’t get mad when they tell you their opinions on Greek life. Don’t call them a loser because they don’t want to go out on a Tuesday night. Don’t pressure them to go to that football game rather than go home for the weekend.

College isn’t what they call the “best time of your life” for everyone. That’s what they said about high school too. Everyone has contrasting timelines and various aspects of life that make them happy. Not everyone wants the typical college experience, and there is nothing wrong with that.