From The Girl Who Has Chosen To Stay Single

Everyone thinks it's an excuse but I’m the girl who has chosen to be single and doesn't feel bad about it.

136

From the girl who has been single for 2 years.

I use to believe having a partner was a necessity. I really believed I needed to have a boy by my side at all times. After graduating High School I went into a relationship that was toxic but I didn’t care because I had someone by my side. After only 4 months the relationship ended in a messy breakup. After that I decided I needed to take a break from relationships. It had taken such a toll on my school and family part of life. I was so focused on his needs that I didn’t care about what my family or I needed.

I needed time to myself. Time to get myself together and figure out who I was. And it has been great.

It helped me reestablish my relationship with the lord. It helped me strengthened my relationship with my family, And I found who I am.

I went to my sisters’ school events. I actually spent time on my school work. I was sitting with my family at dinner instead of taking my dinner to my room to speak to him.

I don’t feel the need to be with a partner. I don’t have the need to have a man by my side anymore. I became independent and learned to do things for me and not for anyone else. I started dressing up more, doing my hair and makeup not because I needed to impress someone but because I wanted to for me.

Although people are getting married and having babies I feel happy for them and no sort of jealousy towards them. Society tries to pressure young people, especially coming from a hispanic family, to be married or already planning the wedding. And honestly i’m over that. I don't have a clock that says that if I don't get married by a certain time i’m going to die or something.

After one year i did decide to go on a couple of dates but nothing felt right. Usually I would have jumped to my first option but now I know what I want and deserve. Now I know what I want in a relationship and I know when God believes it’s time he will send me someone.

People like to try and figure out why you're single. Like what did you do or why doesn't someone want to be in relationships with you.

But in all honesty it's not anything about me, it's just that I know what I want. And no one wants to believe you want to be single by choice they think it's just an excuse.

But if you’re someone who is single and feels bad, stop. Don't feel bad and enjoy it and use the time to find out what you want to do. Figure out what kind of relationship you really need. And you're not undateable. I believe there's someone out there for everyone and we will find them when it the time.

I’m the girl who has chosen to be single. And doesn't feel bad about it.