From A College Senior To A College Freshman

I've had the time of my life, but now it's your turn.

21

Congrats Class of 2016! We've almost made it! Even for the college seniors graduating in December, we have less than a year left of our undergrad. For those graduating in May, you have less than two months and that's insane. It seemed that when we walked into our first day of class on that huge campus or settled into that dorm room it would be forever until we'd be walking that stage. It's true when people say it will fly by. These four years have been some of the best times and some of the hardest times. I always say I wish I knew what I know now as a freshman and that someone would have told any of the smallest amount of advice they could give.

So for those of you that are about to enter into your first year of college or you're still very early in your college career, here's a list of tips that can come in handy in college years.

1. Study.

2. Study a lot.

3. The workload is nothing like high school.

4. Unless you took college classes during high school, it doesn't prepare you for the workload you'll be taking on.

5. Get out of your comfort zone.

6. Make friends from different places.

7. Try out different clubs.

8. Be committed to a select few. (You won't have time for a bunch of activities.)

9. Living is more fun if you're friends with your roommates.

10. But don't live with your best friend. (Unless you think you can handle it.)

11. Befriend people with different personalities than you.

12. Don't lose your faith.

13. Become close with those who will make you a better person.

14. Don't pull an all-nighter. (Even though you probably will at least once.)

15. Become familiar with what your campus offers you. (Printing, counseling, gym, etc.)

16. Know where you can use your student I.D.

17. It's OK if you get the freshman 15.

18. Just check out those free aerobics classes at the gym.

19. Don't work your first year if you can.

20. If you're moving away from home, it will take time to adjust.

21. But don't get too caught up in the adjustment struggle. (It will pass.)

22. Be spontaneous.

23. Travel during your breaks. (You won't get those having a full time job.)

24. Visit your family.

25. But don't go home too much.

26. Get familiar with the city you live in.

27. Be involved on campus but also in your community.

28. Order pizza at midnight.

29. Make cookies for your neighbors.

30. Move off campus.

31. Study abroad.

32. Visit your college friends' hometowns.

33. Learn the value of a dollar. (Trust me, you will.)

35. But don't let money become your idol.

36. It's OK to change your major.

37. It's OK to graduate late.

38. It's OK to not know what you want to do with your degree.

39. It's OK to retake a class.

40. It'll all be OK in the end.

I could go on with this list, but these are some of the things that I have learned the most in my college experience. Trust in the Lord and He will guide you during this time. Cherish these years because they are some of the most fun.