The One Where I Didn't Find Love

The One Where I Didn't Find Love

I'm not going to lie, one of my main goals when I first came to college, was to fall in love.

1167
The One Where I Didn't Find Love
Pic Via Bailey

I'm not going to lie, one of my main goals when I first came to college, was to fall in love. I truly wanted to find the love of my life my first year of college. We would meet, hopefully, someplace cute, like a coffee shop or a football game. We would have this great love story and get engaged right after college. Let me tell you, I have just finished my first year of college and I have no love interest in sight. On my journey to find my one great love, I found four. Meeting these four people made more of an impact on my life than people I have known for years.

I would like to say that I knew I would instantly become friends with these people, but I'm all about honesty, and honestly, I had no interest in making friends. Somehow, I instantly clicked with one of the funniest people I know to this day. He's most likely only funny to me because we have the same sense of humor, meeting him was like looking in a mirror. The tallest person in my friend group isn't just great for reaching objects on the highest shelf, but also for learning that you can't change people. I'm not saying I got roped into a lot of his drama, but I definitely got tied into it. Of course, I would do anything for my friend, so his drama was my drama. In most of his arguments, he wanted to change the person for who they were but along the way we both learned, that you can't change a person for who they are. You have to accept that you can't change someone's past. You have to accept people for who they are and learn to love them. Friendships take work, and you can't just quit being someone's friend because you don't see eye to eye.

I can't remember when I and my partner in crime started hanging out, but all of a sudden there wasn't a day that would go by, that I wasn't seeing her. We became fast friends. Maybe it was because we agreed on almost everything, or maybe it was because we were the only sane ones, but we instantly clicked. Of course, there has to be, "the smart one" in the friend group and I'm not just talking book smart, I'm talking life wisdom too. Whenever I needed someone to listen to my pointless problems, she was my go to. She was my go-to for almost anything. From frat parties on Fridays to church on Sunday, wherever I went I knew I could count on her to be my partner in crime. I mean we're going to be bonded for life, those pinky promise tattoos weren't for nothing.

I definitely could've been nicer to one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I mean granted there are moments that we all have where our mean streak comes out but overall he was a sweetheart. I will always be the first one to say that I am not the nicest person in the world but it's something I've just accepted myself. Our group of friends has always told him that he needs to do a better job of standing his ground and standing up for himself, but I hope he doesn't. Yes, I don't want him to get pushed around but I also hope he keeps his innocence. There have been many of times where I was having a bad day and went to him for some cheering up. He is the most childlike person but in the best way. I don't know anyone else who puts up with me fake winning every game we play, between darts and nerf gun wars, those were some of my favorite parts of freshman year.

The last person to join my friend group and the last one to steal my heart is someone I hated. I would purposely leave the room if he was in it. I would roll my eyes at the sound of his name, now months later he is my go-to person for facetime. we are both prone to wanting the spotlight and learning to share it was harder for me than most. He is prone to speaking his mind and being unapologetically himself. The King of Social Media weaseled his way into all of our hearts with his obnoxious laugh and his love for being in control of most things. When a door slams in his face, he is never hesitant to open it and go about his day like nothing has happened.

These four people have changed me in the best ways. For one thing, I was never a touchy person nor a hugger. You can now catch me laying on top of someone or running to hug someone in a dorm that probably isn't mine. Almost all these people have seen me at my lowest points and have never thought anything less of me, and that is something I love about each and everyone one of them. Now, I would still like to find the love of my life at some point but until that happens, I'm okay with just being stuck with them.