If You want To Grow, You Should Be Friends With People Who Have Different Interests Than You

These friends of mine were the ones I thought about when I looked to the future and saw how I want our world to be.

212

For a long time, I thought the key to great friendships was having the same interests. I was wrong. I never learned anything else. All I knew was what I liked. That was because my friends and I had the same interests and there wasn't much of a difference between us.

At one point, that all changed. Of course, I was still friends with my buds who shared the same loves, but I was also friends with people who had a life completely different than mine. Some of them believed different things. Some of them did things I would never think of doing. Some of them had different music tastes, different movie tastes, and unlike me, hated sports. These were the people who helped me grow as a person.

I was able to learn more because of them.

These friends of mine were the ones I thought about when I looked to the future and saw how I want our world to be. I want our world to be different. I don't want everyone to be the same. I want people to enjoy different things. My friends showed me that firsthand. They showed me the truth behind the difference in people. That truth is simple. Just because we have different interests or beliefs does not mean we can't get along.

I think I was afraid of being friends with people who are "different" than me because I feared what might happen.

I realize now that's complete baloney. They were the ones who popped sides of me out that I didn't know existed. That is mainly because I checked up on them to make sure everything was okay and they were still, as I say, being good. No worries, they were.

My friends became people I love dearly, who showed me how important it is to be okay with change.

It didn't take long for me to love them like they were the friends I had for years. They were the friends I saw in the hall and immediately smiled. They were the friends I could crack jokes with because they somehow understood what I was throwing down. These people were the ones who made me laugh until I almost peed myself because they are funnier than I can begin to explain.

Over the years, I have learned how being friends with someone who has a life quite different than yours actually helps you. They probably made me laugh harder simply because they didn't care what you think. They made me ponder because their views are far different than mine. They helped me in different ways because they have experienced life differently. These friends of mine have shown me how cool it is to be friends with people you never thought was possible.

I went outside my comfort zone, and it soon became comfortable. I had no problem being pals with people who lived in a way that seems to be on the other side of the world. My pals are so important to me, and I love them just like I love the friends I have had for years. It's okay to be friends with people who are different than you. Really, it is.