Friends Should Love You, Even When It Hurts

Shine the light into their darkest places.

16
Abo Ngalonkulu

I believed the lie that no one could possibly love me when I was going through a dark time. Why would friends stick around when I was so hard to love? It was easier to push people away then let them see my struggles. I still battle with that lie occasionally, but one beautiful soul taught me the truth that real friends are placed in your life to point you to the light when all you can see is darkness.

Real friendship is raw, unfiltered, loving, free, and beautiful. Real friendship isn't always pretty, but it is always beautiful. That means that you will see each other's "ugly", but you will love each other through it. Real friendship is my closest friend telling me everyday that I was worth it, even when I believed that I wasn't worth fighting for. It is when you see your friend at their absolute worst, and don't see them any differently then you did before. It is about being the hope that things are going to be okay, when things seem hopeless to your friend. Real friendship is praying for your friend's healing when they have lost faith in it for themselves. It is shining light into the dark places. It is being the hands of God when your friend has lost faith in God's promises for their life.

Friends are placed in your life for a reason. Sometimes it is hard as humans to look past a friend's guilt, shame, and regret and see them how God sees them. But friends can love you even at your darkest times if they are looking to God to help you. God tells us, "There is no greater love then to lay down one's life for a friend." (John 15:13) In fact, He commands us to love one another as He loves us. He loves us unconditionally. As humans it is so hard to do that, even for our friends, but it's worth it. When you have a friendship that is so loving and raw and full of Jesus, you will be able to look past each other's flaws and love each other like God loves you.

To my beautiful friend who taught me the meaning of friendship, I thank you. You showed me God's light when all I could see was darkness and you never let me give up. You fought for me when I couldn't fight for myself. You reminded me of how Jesus loves me and would never let me forget it. You gave me hope God would make a terrible situation into something beautiful. You showed me that I am loved, even in my dark times. Thank you for being the hands of God.

So here's to the beautiful souls that love like Jesus when all we can see is darkness. Here's to pouring light into our friends until they can see the light for themselves. Never believe the lie that your friends will leave you if you show them what you are going through. They are there to point you to the truth. They are there to point you to Jesus.

Be the hands and feet of Jesus when your friends need it most and remember: you are loved, even in your darkest moments.