Friends, Family, And What's Really Important

If you have both, you have everything.

104
Clip Art Panda

I was reminded recently of the importance of family and the true value of love and loyalty. There have been many times where I’ve been afraid to talk to my family for fear of what they’d think of me were I to share with them all of the mistakes I’ve made, or have thought about making. The truth is, however, all the rules and expectations that were lain upon me as a child were there to help me become a good person, a better one than I often see myself as. But the point is, whether I falter, fall down, or completely fuck up, my family is always there for me no matter what. There is no value that can be put on that kind of love; it’s priceless. Whether I’ve crashed a car, failed a test, or found myself in the hospital, there is always a brief period of shock followed by disappointment, possibly some anger, and then a warm comforting embrace as they hold me in their arms and tell me everything is going to be alright.

It’s hard to find friends who are like family. They are few and far between. Among the hordes of Facebook friends and Instagram followers, there may be one or two percent who really matter. Fake friends abound. They’re the people you say hi to as you’re walking by, the kids who hit you up for favors, and the people you hang out with for fun. But truly loyal friends, the ones who will be by your side no matter what happens, those kinds of friends are rarer and more valuable than any precious metal someone can dig up out of the ground. Your friends are the family you find, choose, and develop. They’re the people you trust and rely on to have your back, the ones you’d do anything for at the drop of a hat. I’ve relied on my friends countless times for guidance and assistance, and have been glad to provide the same to them. Between real friends, there are no secrets or formalities. No request is too big or too small. No time spent together is ever considered wasted. True friends are like family, and family is everything. I’m glad to have both.