The Friends Who Became Family

The Friends Who Became Family

Thank you all for giving me a second place to call home.

18
The Friends Who Became Family
Personal Photo

As this term comes to a close I have found myself reflecting not only on what I learned in my classes but on the friendships I have made. Granted, several of these are friendships that began before this term, whether that means before coming to college or over the past two years. But, like all relationships, friendships grow and change over time and I am incredibly lucky and thankful to say that most have only changed for the better. There are no words to really express how thankful I am for the role all of you play in my life, but I'm going to do my best to try to thank you for everything you do and how appreciative I am to have you in my life.

To my friends in the same major as me: there is no one else I would rather push through these classes with. Some of us have been in classes together for years now and some of us just had our first classes together this term. Whatever the case, we've had some pretty memorable (at least I find them memorable) times. We've laughed together, panicked together, worked together, and learned together. Despite usually stressing out over an exam or group project, I always enjoyed hanging out with you all as we figured out what was going on in the course material. You have helped me learn the content and encouraged me to keep trying because you believe I can be successful, and for that I thank you. It makes me a little sad that I never see you outside of class or study sessions, I'm going to miss you now that these classes end and we may not see each other.

To friends who have graduated: Whether I only knew you for one year or two years, I was worried I'd lose you as friends once you graduated and moved one step closer to being adults. Similarly to friends from high school, I don't talk to you as often as I'd like to and it's definitely not the same as being able to walk across campus to hang out or chat. However, that hasn't stopped us from being friends. You're all still there for me and I hope you know I'm here for you, too. Please visit soon!

Lastly, to the friends who have become my family: I don't know where I'd be without you all. Coming to college two and a half years ago, I had no idea what to expect. Of course I was hoping to make lifelong friends but never, in my wildest dreams, did I imagine meeting people like you. Some of you were among the first people I met on campus and others I have only grown closer to this past term. Regardless of the amount of time I've known you, you've had an incredible impact on me and I'm so lucky, not only to know you, but to consider you my best friends. From running around the neighborhood to practically inhaling ice cream, I always have so much fun with you and love that we can all just be ourselves. You can always make me laugh and find ways to brighten the world around you. Thank you for accepting me for who I am and being there for me for everything. I love you all with all my heart and can't imagine my life without you.

I would not be the person I am today if it were not for the people I've met and the friendships forged along the way. My classes are what have made college an educational experience, my friendships with all of you are what have made it a second home.