Open Letter to the Friends I thought I made

forgotten Hands

"Friends come and go, like the waves of the ocean, but the true ones stay like an octopus on your face." ~Unknown

13
https://www.pexels.com/search/friendship/

When we enter college, we begin with the hope to gain a new experience in which we can share with other individuals. Often the individuals we share our experiences with, are usually in the same class that we begin the new adventure with. But, what happens when these individuals become a factor that can no longer be a part of our life. We often have to take the lesson these individuals teach us and move forward.

A letter to address the people who I began college with.

Dear Friend(s),
I met you all my first year of college. Four years later here we are, not speaking, not acknowledging one another, and even have forgotten that we once called one another "friends."

I still remember meeting you all during my first year in college. I had entered college hoping to start a new. I expected to gain a unique experience and a new set of friends with whom I would have alongside me for years to come.
But what I had merely hoped for, is only a small figment of my memory. It seems that your roles in my college life has been minor and has faded.

We haven't noticed that the last four years have flown past. Do I want to know, what happened? I remember trying, but I have to ask, why didn't you guys try? It seems that you all did not even have the time for a merely "Hi" or even a "Happy Birthday" text. Hence, forcing me to question why I gave any of you guys my time.
This question has stuck in my head; it seems that the only times you all have reached out, is when you needed something from me. But, was it the availability that I gave you despite the busy schedule that you misused me for?
Or was it that, I was merely a temporary outlet in your life, that would fulfill your temporary need?
The only thing I can genuinely say right now is that I am glad you all have taught me to invest less in people and have low expectations of the people around me.

Thank You for fading from my life, as I feel that my expectations would have remained high from my friends. Because you guys taught me so much, it showed me that those who genuinely cared for me, I never gave them the time of day. And it has allowed me time to focus on myself and those who genuinely care.
Sincerely, The friend that you misused.

P.S. I don't hold a grudge. This is merely a thought that has risen now that I no longer have to face you. I am grateful for the lesson that I have learned, as it has taught me a lot.