If All You Have To Talk About Is Your Boyfriend, Don't Talk To Me

This single pringle doesn't want to hear about how amazing Brad is 24/7.

65
123rf

I've learned to hold my tongue when it comes to talking about a guy I'm seeing now that I am older. When I was dating some boyfriends of the past, my high school-self found talking about them to be a topic of conversation I utilized quite a lot. Looking back on this, I've realized that people do not always want to hear about your significant other constantly — and many ladies haven't gotten the memo still.

I'm not saying don't talk to me about him. If I ask about him it's because I genuinely want to know how he is or hear the latest gossip. I don't hate hearing you talk about him, but if all I hear every second of our conversations is something about him doing this or that all I start hearing is blah blah blah. It may make me seem spiteful, not caring about him the way you do, but it's not my job to do that.

Friends support friends no matter what and I'm a large proponent of that. I love my friends dearly and I love many of their boyfriends dearly as well, whether I've met them or not. I'm talking about those girls you either overhear in the library on campus or at the local Dunkin' while waiting in line. Some of them you are friends or acquainted with, and they NEVER stop talking about how amazing their boyfriend is. Newsflash: the people with and around you in line really don't care.

As a very single pringle, I am envious of those who've found a great guy for them. What am I doing wrong to constantly be slighted by those I'm interested in? Getting ghosted or being told "they don't want a relationship" is the new norm, and I just expect it out of every guy I start talking to. If I give them the benefit of the doubt, they always hurt me in the end. When all I hear is the amazing things your boyfriend does I can't help but not want to hear about it all the time. Think about being in my shoes, do you think you'd want to hear about my boyfriend 24/7 if you were single and trying to figure yourself out?

I'm just asking for you to be more aware of just how much you talk about him. I'm happy to hang out with you girl on girl, but if he is the only topic of conversation, I can't call it girl time. Yes, my headline is a bit aggressive, but as I come to learn about myself better, I've realized if I don't want to be around this person, why bother?

I'm happy you have a loving boyfriend and I'm so happy you are happy. However, pick up some new conversation topics or we might not be talking as much anymore.