To The Friend I Forget To Hang Out With

To The Friend I Forget To Hang Out With

61
Catie Blackwell, 2016

In all the hustle and bustle that is college, it's so easy to make friends through extracurricular activities and subsequently no longer have time for that extracurricular, and, unfortunately, lose touch with the wonderful humans we make friends with in those clubs. When they aren't with us all the time, it's easy to forget about the friendships you've made in the past and get in the routine of hanging out with the people you happen to see the most, while forming and cultivating new friendships with the people in new clubs and classes.

To everyone who has ever formed a friendship that got lost solely because of "busyness," this is for you.

Hey chicken nugget.

It's me, the friend you made two years ago. We hit it off immediately. In addition to being kindred spirits and having tons in common, we could absolutely crack each other up. For awhile, we talked every day (even if it was just sending ridiculous videos of magic dogs over Facebook messenger) and made time to hang out together.

Then we got busy...for almost two years, somehow.

I'm not sure how or why it happened, but I am so glad we've somehow re-connected this summer over queso, fried pickles, pizza and random adventure time.

To the friend I forgot to hang out with for two years...

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry the only times we got to hang out were when we happened to end up in the same extracurricular activities, and that I never made any more of an effort to get a quick lunch or go on a Walmart adventure with you at any point. I'm sorry I forgot how much we make each other laugh.

I value your friendship so much.

You are a poetic, noble land mermaid, my friend. Even though we've both been busy and hanging out with other friends, you're still the Ann to my Leslie. No matter how often we get busy or have separate schedules and never see each other and fall victim to "out of sight, out of mind," you will always be my favorite cunning, pliable, chestnut-haired sunfish and my favorite beautiful, rule-breaking moth.

I see you on social media kicking butt and taking names, and I've been doing the same, and I'm so glad that we're still willing to take time from our busy schedules (or from just wanted to binge-watch Netflix from bed for unreasonable amounts of time) to hang out with each other now.

I promise it won't happen again!

Now that we've actually made time to hang out and we remembered how much we enjoy committing various shenanigans in each other's company, I promise not to let another two years go by...mostly because I'll be graduated in two years, so that would be unfortunate.

To the friend I forgot to hang out with for two years, thank you for being the same wonderful friend I made two years ago, even though we now have two more years of education, roommates, heartbreak and so much more under our belts. Thank you for being my ride-or-die, and for generally just being a beautiful, talented, brilliant, powerful musk ox...oh, and for understanding all my "Parks and Recreation" references. Love ya, buddy.