Freshmen: Hate ‘em or Wanna Be ‘em?

Freshmen: Hate ‘em or Wanna Be ‘em?

Let's Be Real.

6
Freshmen:  Hate ‘em or Wanna Be ‘em?

A new school year means a new wave of freshmen, but why does the word "freshman" seem to always have such a negative connotation?

Freshmen

A freshman is a first-year student, but the more commonly definition is an immature, naïve, annoyance who wears a lanyard around their neck.  They are seen alone in the dining halls and in their classes, but at night they travel in wild packs.  When the sun goes down these timid, scared freshmen students turn into rabid, hyperactive animals lurking campus for the closest party and free drink.  They take over frat after-hours.  They block all the sidewalks with their large groups.  They invade the bars with their fake I.Ds and they don’t know how to handle their alcohol.  But, do they know any better?

Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors

On the other end of the spectrum are the sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have already been around the block.  All upperclassmen walk around knowing where they are going and whom they are meeting up with.  They know what frat throws the best party and which nights are bar nights.  Things are so much easier.  They don’t have to search for a party; they just show up and make the party happen.  Or if they are in Greek life, they get an email saying where to go on what day at what time and what to wear.  What could be better?  They all have to remember that freshmen don’t have that luxury.           

Ignorance is Bliss       

Yes, freshmen can be annoying with their grinning faces excited to explore campus, but at some point you may wish to trade places. I know, you’re thinking that will never happen, but just listen.  The freshmen have less bad nights under their belt (because we all know that every night out isn’t always a fun night out).  These freshmen have fun walking around looking for parties; they are very easy to please.  Upperclassmen are not as easy to please.  After you’ve been to the “best” party, your expectations go up and a basic party you would have been ecstatic to attend as a freshman, is boring and unfulfilling.                

Be Kind to the Little Ones

Overall, it just feels good to no longer be the little man on campus.  This year there’s a new group of freshmen trying to figure college out for themselves.  You may not agree now, but when you’re a senior you may wish you were in the freshmen’s shoes once again.  Once your senior year of college comes around you realize the real world is awaiting you.  No more frat parties, wild bar nights, big-little activities, philanthropy events, and carefree living.  One day you’re going to want to be a carefree freshman excited to explore their new home for the next four years.                

Maybe the root of hating freshmen is jealousy and envy.  They have the next four years ahead of them.  They don’t know what they will do, the parties they will go to, the amazing people they will meet, and the memories they will make.  It is sad that they have the best four years of their lives ahead of them while you can only look back at it.