10 Things Freshmen Should Know When Signing Up For Classes

Signing up for class is difficult, but it's even harder when you're a freshman.

134
pixabay.com

Signing up for classes for your first semester of college can seem like a daunting task. There are hundreds of different classes you could take and many different majors you can pursue.

Putting a schedule together than ensures you cover all the credits needed can seem like a nearly impossible task. I remember struggling to create a class schedule at orientation that both fulfilled the credits I needed while also ensuring that none of my classes overlapped and I didn’t take too many classes on certain days.

However, with the guidance of your adviser and peers in your program things can get a lot easier. With than in mind, here are important things to remember when signing up for classes.

1. You’re probably going to change your major at least once

The average student changes their major three times during their college career meaning that there is a good chance what you are studying freshman year and what you will eventually get your degree in will differ.

2. This means you shouldn’t fill your schedule entirely with business, psychology, etc. classes

Unfortunately, I made this particular mistake. During my first three semesters at college I took five business classes, meaning that I now have 16 credits towards a business major or minor that I will no longer be pursuing. Luckily, some of these credits were UCORE (required classes at WSU) meaning that they didn’t completely go to waste.

3. Take a variety of classes, you might unexpectedly find something you love

My first semester I took a pretty wide variety of classes which gave me a good opportunity to see what classes I liked and think about what major I wanted to pursue.

4. Get your core classes out the way

Honestly most of these classes are going to suck, but everyone has to take them at some point so you might as well get them out of the way. Leaving core classes to the last second is a bad idea as it might end up being what stands between you and graduating.

*This is a great way to take a variety of classes as well*

5. Get classes with labs out of the way as well

Labs are terrible, they’re a pain to schedule, they last forever, and they’re just overall not fun, but they’re a pain we all must suffer at some point.

6. But make sure you don’t take too many labs at once

Scheduling a lab is a huge pain as it takes a three hour block out of your week. But trying to schedule three labs at three hours a piece is even worse.

7. Some early classes aren’t as bad as they seem

Don’t get me wrong an 8 A.M. is never going to be enjoyable, but after a semester of 9 A.M. classes, I can confirm that they really aren’t as bad as they seem. One bonus of starting your day a little earlier is it means you likely get out of class earlier, which gives you more time to get work done or hang out with friends.

8. If freshmen at your school sign up for classes at orientations held throughout the summer, try to go to the earliest orientation possible

Regardless of what school you got to, one thing is true: classes fill up fast. I went to the fifth orientation session of 15 held by my university and there were already a lot of full classes. This is especially important if you have already decided on a major such as engineering or nursing where your schedule is going to be jam packed with classes your entire college career.

9. Remember that you can always drop or withdraw from a class

While you shouldn’t go into the year planning on dropping a class, keep in mind that if you are struggling it might be a good option. Also, if you’re going to remove yourself from a class try dropping it instead of withdrawing, as dropping won't show up on your transcript, while withdrawing will.

10. Take at least one class you think you will enjoy

Nothing makes a semester miserable like only taking classes you hate. Take at least one class that you think you will enjoy to help get yourself through the week.