I Am Not Who I Was Freshman Year And That's OK

Change is good and necessary sometimes.

1016
Olivia Jacques

My freshman year of college was a hard time for me. I went to a university where I knew one person from home and we weren't even that close in high school. My roommates and I didn't get along and I basically had no friends.

My daily routine consisted of me going to class, coming home and studying and then watching Netflix. This included Friday and Saturdays. I would call my mom crying because of how much I wanted to go home. I told my dad I wanted to transfer closer to home. I thought I could be far away for college, but as soon as I went far away, I hated it. I had never felt so alone in my entire life. I was scared, depressed, and lonely. This is not the ideal way to start college.

Soon enough, I decide to do something about it. I joined a sorority and I started to go out with my friends even if I didn't want to. I started to get back who I once used to be before college.

But I realized that I didn't ever want to go back to who I was freshman year.

As my sophomore year comes to a close, I look back on my time at college. I know that I still have two years left, but it's nice to know how far you've come. I don't know that girl anymore and I hope it stays that way.

Do more of what makes you happy and create your own happiness. Just look around a little if you can't find it at first. Join new clubs, talk to people in class and get involved. You can be whoever you want to be, just don't lose sight of who you truly are.