A Look Back On The Freshman Year Of The SJU Class Of 2019

Do you remembaaaa the 21st night of...August?

20

Admit it, the tweets, insta post and SJU snap story of orientation has you going through some major Hawk Hill withdrawal and mems are flooding your mind like theres no tomorrow. I decided to dedicate this weeks article to the craziest class ever.... the 2019 Hawks... enjoy your ride back in time!!!!!

Orientation:

The craziness that started it all. We arrived at Hawk Hill from all over the country (some even out of the country!!!) with bags packed and nervous (but excited) minds. You may have had the honor of a complete stranger (a Red Shirt) hop into your family's SUV as if it were a completely normal situation. We trekked around SJU in our color coordinated groups with those dang lanyards around our necks. We became a family at the New Student mass and got rowdy on the train to Center City. We ate our bodies weight in mac and cheese and Bassett's ice cream at Reading Terminal Market (which may I add was reserved JUST FOR US?!). We ran in Rocky's shoes as we climbed the steps of the Art Museum and took in the sights of what would be "our city" for the next four years. BUT it didn't end there. We dressed in our finest neon and white gear for the infamous SJU Orientation BLD, and didn't leave an inch of our body clear of neon paint (or sweat). With just a mere four hours of sleep we took on Day two , and fought to the finish of the field games to declare a Champion. We concluded Orientation with the "Hawks Go Flyin' In" Chant and lots of hugs and anticipation of moving in in just two months.

Pope Weekend:

A once in a lifetime opportunity for us baby hawks. Classes still on for some reason, SWAT teams on the roofs, some iconic Pope themed T-Shirts, dolls and other memorabilia. A"Pope" crawl, people lining the curbs of City Ave, A brand new statue BLESSED BY POPE FRANCIS HIMSELF, a beautiful mass service, (did I mention classes were STILL ON?!) . This and more all added up to be one of the most amazing moments in SJU history.

The Bomb Threat:

The most confusing, insane, terrifying, odd, situation that occurred during the 2015-2016 school year. A bomb threat was discovered that included that stupid meme of the frog and the country went nuts. Classes were cancelled, students packed there bags and sought out the comfort of their own homes. Some students remained on campus and sought comfort in their own dorm rooms. But no worries, SJU remained safe and we all lived happily ever after.

The Holy War:

For many SJU students this is a regular annual occurrence for them but for us lil freshies this was our first go around. We lined up,or did the late walk of shame in the rain, at Hagan arena for a spot to watch the Hawks take on the Wildcats. We may have lost the game, but our student section remained undefeated. And the fact that Dominoes online orders were 50% off that night allowed us to drown our sorrows in the sweet comfort of cinnastix and pizza.

Christmas Dinner in Campion:

After being forced to live off of the questionable food of campion (except on grilled cheese day or Freddie's banging omelettes) we had our first real feast since Thanksgiving at home. People putting baguettes in their book bags and purses, bringing their own tupperware for leftovers, the most delicious dinner you will ever have at SJU and the only time we would wait over an hour in line for Campion.

Hawks became A10 Champs:

Some watched from their dorms and others traveled with the team. Either way we supported our Hawks to the very end. We bled crimson and grey and never stopped flapping our wings. We cried, we cheered, we fought, we became A10 Champs.

That Weird Snowstorm in....March??:

We got our first taste at how snow days are handled in college and channeled our inner 5 year old as we used lids from our storage bins to make "sleds" to slide down Villiger lawn, Insta-ed and VSCO-ed 4729038508049859 pics of Barb in the snow, experienced a shortage of food in Campion and the agony of using plastic utensils, plastic plates and not to mention those stupid airplane cups that fit maybe two drops of apple juice if they even HAD apple juice.

Spring Concert:

Our late elementary school hearts squealed when Panic! At the Disco was revealed as our spring concert musical guest. Our semi-more-adultish hearts squealed even louder when we realized it was only $12 for a ticket. #Blessed for that cover of Bohemian Rhapsody am I right?

Moving Out:

I thought it wasn't possible to get any crazier than move IN day but it did. Carts and carts galore, more student cars parked on campus than ever before. Trying to figure out how the hell you fit THAT MUCH CRAP in your tiny dorm for the past 9 months, saying "goodbyes" but cheering in relief as you pulled away from Hawk Hill.

What a year, 2019 Hawks. It's hard to believe that just a year ago we were BLDing and meeting our first college friends. We may have had one of the most memorable freshman years of college ever. From a Pope visit, to a Championship title to a middle school guilty pleasure band playing in our very own Hagan Arena, and guess what? This is just the beginning. I am so proud to be a part of the SJU Class of 2019 and I thank you for one of the most amazing and crazy years of my life.

Here's to many more!!!!

Lesssgo Hawks!!!!

-Hannah Lobley

(Or as most of you know me...Lobes) :)