5 Things Freshman Year Has Taught Me

5 Things Freshman Year Has Taught Me

What has happened in the past can not be changed, so don't waste your time trying to make it better.

208
Unsplash

My first year of college is coming to an end, and it is so bittersweet. I knew it would be difficult between the hard classes and being six hours away from home, but I didn't realize how different it would be.

The year has brought me heartbreak, a lifetime worth of stress, drama, and a busy schedule. But, I have also gotten close friends, a sisterhood, new accomplishments, and a new independence.

I have certainly made memories that will last a lifetime. Whether it was good or bad, every moment I experienced lead me to learn a great lesson about life.

Here are the five most important things I have learned this year...

1. Effort is more important than a grade

It is likely you will fail an exam at some point in college. For me, it was my very first one. Although that is a very bad thing, it is how we grow from that moment that truly matters. We have to put in a great amount of effort after we make a mistake, but that effort improves us as an individual.

In the end, a grade is just a letter. A GPA is just a number. They do not define you. Instead, it is your work ethic, choices, and lifestyle that determine who you are and who you will become.

2. Who cares what people think

In high school, none of this would be OK, but in college, much more is accepted. It is OK to wear your pajamas to class. It is OK to not wear makeup for a week. It is OK to order pizza for dinner two nights in a row. It is OK to wake up in the middle of the day. Don't let societies standards hold you back from being you, and from doing what you want.

3. As always, boys suck

For real though, when will they not??

You were probably expecting to meet grown-up boys in college, but really, college boys are even more childish than before. They will hurt you, use you, judge you, and break your heart. Try your hardest to not give them that opportunity. You don't deserve it, and they don't deserve you.

4. Quality is greater than quantity

It is better to have a few amazing friends that are there for you through thick and thin, over a large group of friends that you can not be yourself around.

Surround yourself with genuine people that will bring out the best in you and support you in all you do. They will make your life amazing.

5. Life moves on from everything

No matter what you go through, your life will continue. What has happened in the past can not be changed, so don't waste your time trying to make it better. Instead, focus on living in the moment and preparing for the future.