Five Things I Learned From Freshman Year

A time that felt like just yesterday

8
The Odyssey Online

Packing up for the beginning of another college school year is always an exciting time for me, but also a little nerve-wracking. I cannot believe I will be entering my junior year when my first-ever semester feels like such a close memory. So, for all the first-years entering my college campus (as well as many others!), here are a few takeaways I received from my first year that you may relate to throughout yours as well.

1. Your roommate will not be your best friend.

I entered my freshman year with the fantasy of having the perfect roommate. We would become best friends and navigate our tricky first year together with movie nights, late-night snacks, and study sessions. However, my roommate turned out to be quite the opposite. While it was difficult to return to my room each day with this looming negative atmosphere, it also caused me to branch out to find new friends, one of whom would become my current roommate.

2. You may start out with a different group of friends than you end with.

My first year was full of friendships with the girls that lived on my residence hall floor or in the same building. However, as the year progressed, we all went our separate ways to pursue our own interests. I joined a sorority, while one of my other friends dove into our theater department. While we still remained in touch, our communication began to lessen, to the point where we simply smile at each other in passing. I’m incredibly thankful for my first friends, and know I couldn’t have had an amazing first-year experience without them, despite how we have distanced ourselves over the following years.

3. Distance relationships are tough.

Going to school an hour and a half away from my boyfriend at the time proved to be a greater challenge than I anticipated. While we were close enough to see each other on some weekends and school breaks, it sometimes just didn’t feel like enough. The phone calls and Skype sessions just didn't compare to seeing each other in person. I’m apprehensive to enter into this upcoming year with a new boyfriend, but know I have gained the maturity through this previous experience to make this time work.

4. School is hard.

Throughout high school, my courses were a breeze, with minimal work where earning an “A” felt like nothing. I walked into my first college class and felt quite the opposite. College is a lot of work, and getting a good grade for a challenging assignment felt like so much more since I had put the work in. I’ve never encountered an “easy” class at Wooster, and while my stress levels may be high a majority of the time, the grades at the end of the semester are very worth it.

5. College is one of the best times of your life.

All of the nerves I have at the beginning of each year melt away within my first couple days. I love my independence at school, but have also learned to appreciate my parents and family so much more since I have been gone. Taking classes I am personally interested in and becoming involved in several clubs have shaped my experience into a great one. I never believed anyone when they said college is one of the best times of your life, but now I wholeheartedly agree.