What Every Freshman Needs To Know About The University Of Cincinnati

From someone who has been there and loves it.
58

I can remember the weeks leading up to move in day, and, man, I was nervous. College is unlike any other experience, and everyone stresses that you need to get involved. That’s true, but don’t stress about joining every club. Join one or two and make a lot of friends, especially with people in your classes. The University of Cincinnati is booming with school pride and its own kind of energy, so embrace it. Freshman year is a huge change, and you don’t want to miss out on anything, so here’s what you need to know.

1. Go to every event.

During the first few weeks on campus, there are going to be all sorts of events and activities, which will be a great way to meet people. Don’t be afraid to not know anyone!

2. Rely on your roommates.

In the beginning, everyone is new and timid, so stick with your roommates. In my case, those crazy roommates turned out to be some of my best friends, and I wouldn’t have made it through the year without them. Whether you end up beginning besties or not, you have to remember that being roommates means you are in this insane year together.

3. Mac Mondays are a God send.

While in your first year, you have to make it to mac n’ cheese Mondays at Keystone across from Calhoun. Whether you are celebrating or stress eating, half priced mac and cheese is always a good choice.

4. We are the hottest college in America.

That’s probably because of all the stairs and hills we climb on a daily basis. Believe me, getting 10,000 steps in for the day is no challenge, and there will be days when you will walk 20,000 steps, AKA roughly 10 miles.

5. Tender Tuesdays are the highlight of the week.

Let me give you the run down on where to eat and when. Market Point closes for the weekend at 2 p.m. on Fridays, so that’s a let down, but they have tenders for lunch on Tuesdays. These tenders are life. Hello, freshman 15. Center Court has better stir fry, and their weekend omelets are the perfect cure for the events of the night before. But don’t forget, it’s still dining hall food.

6. It’s always game day.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a Wednesday afternoon or a Friday night, yelling down the drive is always acceptable.

7. The Rec is your best friend.

Even though you walk an ungodly amount, the freshman 15 is real. Go to the gym and work out that extra stress and a few calories, too.

8. The Nearly Naked Mile.

This is such an awesome event, and it’s a lot of fun to watch or be a part of! It’s also great motivation to get to the Rec!

9. Greek life is huge.

I don’t have the time to be in a sorority, but I know a lot of people in Greek life. The sororities aren’t stereotypical, and there are so many nice people in them, so don’t be afraid to join!

10. The walk to Center Court sucks.

During the winter, or even after a night out, walking to CC will seem like a marathon.

11. Elevators have rules.

If you live on the fourth floor or lower, you take the stairs. It’s common courtesy, unless you have a legitimate reason not to or no one is waiting for the elevator.

12. Study hard.

You are here to learn, so use every opportunity as a chance to better yourself. If you feel ready, study some more because you can never be over-prepared. Classes like chemistry and physics are meant to challenge you, so don’t underestimate them.

13. Don’t be afraid to go out.

College is meant to be fun! Go to Woody Wednesdays or whatever parties are happening on the weekend, just don’t go too hard.

14. Learn to love sushi.

Having two sushi restaurants right next to campus means you will eat there all the time. At Mr. Sushi, it doesn’t matter if you don’t like sushi because a fish bowl is the best thing there.

15. Safety is a priority.

I have never felt threatened on campus, and neither should you. There are police officers everywhere, and their main concern is that everyone is safe. You have to be smart, too, so don’t walk alone at night and be aware of your surroundings.

16. Once a Bearcat, always a Bearcat.

School spirit is not something we take lightly; after all, we are The Ruckus. Campus is full of people wearing UC gear. The football games are always packed with students because we are so proud to be a part of one of the best universities in the country.

Hey, cats, let's go UC! Oh, baby ohhhh, ohhhh, ohhhhh! UC!

The University of Cincinnati will shortly become a second home to you as it has for me. Embrace the newness of college and don’t hold back. I learned so much in my first year of school, and I truly hope you find it as welcoming as I do. Let’s go, Bearcats!