Fresh or Fishy?

Fresh or Fishy?

Is Finding Dory an instant classic? Or just another fishy tale?

8
Fresh or Fishy?
YouTube

Pixar has been known for its films that are filled with childlike wonder, as well deep thematic elements. Aside from some of their recent films, Pixar has received critical acclaim from critics and audience members alike. After a five-year period of mediocre movies, they released Inside Out, and officially put the hype back into the cooperation. This year, Disney's Pixar has released a sequel to Finding Nemo; one of the most favored Pixar films to date. 2016’s Finding Dory was met with a lot of anticipation from both fans and critics alike. But, did this film match up to its predecessor? Or did you have to “just keep swimming” past this one?

SYNOPSIS: The film takes place one year after the events of Finding Nemo, placing Dory with Marlin and Nemo, back at their lovely little anemone home. After a discussion with Nemo’s class about migration and going back home, Dory suddenly remembers her origin of birth and childhood home; The Jewel of Morro Bay. Dory, Nemo and Marlin make the trip across the ocean to The Jewel of Morro Bay in attempt to locate and reunite Dory with her long-lost parents. But, upon arrival, Dory gets ensnared in some plastic and is picked up by a couple of employees at the nearby animal hospital. Will Marlin and Nemo succeed in finding her? Will Dory ever reunite with her long-lost parents?

PROS: Sequels in cinema haven’t always been successful. However, the sequels that have succeeded in fulfilling the goal of adding an acceptable addition to its series have usually come from Pixar. Finding Dory, to some surprise, is no exception. In all honesty, I was not a huge fan of hearing a sequel centered around a featured character. In other words, I thought this movie was going to be fairly undesirable. Personally, movies like Cars 2 and Minions disappointed me. But on the contrary, Finding Dory had its own charm. It didn’t try to force anything, in terms of adding a story. In the simplest of terms, it just “did it."

The writing and the voice acting was blended so well in Finding Dory. I was, frankly, blown away by how well blended and in sync every little detail was. The animation was as beautiful as ever. The jokes were fresh. In summary, it didn’t feel like a repeat of Finding Nemo. Which, honestly, was the detail I was the most afraid of. Was it predictable? In ways, yes. But every moment has the ability to tug at your heart strings. It can mold and form your heart into any emotion it wants to at its will, and you will love it.

CONS: I only have one con. Though the movie lived up to its hype, it didn’t really exceed its expectations. It just seemed to meet the expectations where they were set. This absolutely disappoints me, being a devoted Pixar fan, as well as, a Finding Nemo fan. Pixar played it safe, rather than taking any risks. It felt a bit like a spit in the face, if I am being upfront with you.

CONCLUSION: Though it felt underachieved, Finding Dory was still a piece of fabulous art that will be marveled throughout time and Pixar history. The film left no unanswered questions, and satisfied every moviegoer. Is it the best Pixar movie? Absolutely not. But, it has earned its right as an instant classic.