The ABCs of Fred-Fest

The ABCs of Fred-Fest

Next time won't you Fred-Fest with me?

114
The ABCs of Fred-Fest
Facebook: Taylor Glowacki

Everyone knows that the end of the semester has a reputation for its parties and downtown life. In my area, we have Fred-Fest— that one weekend in spring before dead week when things get crazy. While it's not affiliated with my university, I think it’s safe to say that everyone looks forward to Fred Fest. In case you haven’t heard of Fred-Fest, or just need a refresher, here are the 26 things you need to know, in ABC order of course.

A. Alcohol:

Would it really be Fred-Fest if there wasn’t alcohol involved? No matter what type of alcohol you’re looking for, I am almost guaranteeing you that it can be found at Fred-Fest. Backpacks full of alcohol emerge from the crowd filled with just about everything but the actual liquor store structure.

B. Blackouts:

A couple too many drinks during Fred-Fest, and you may find yourself on your butt in someone’s front lawn. Drinking till you black out may not be an every weekend thing, but you can definitely count on it at Fred-Fest. With that being said, don’t drink alone, get a buddy, and be safe!

C. College Students Everywhere:

If you’re trying to get downtown during Fred-Fest with anything but your own two feet, well good luck! The streets and yards are packed with parties and an overflow of students!

D. Dis-banned From Campus:

In the past, administrators cancelled the events for Fred-Fest, and they like to pretend that it doesn’t exist. We all know that’s not the case.

E. Excessive Celebration:

It’s been a long two semesters, and it's time to celebrate all the hard work that we put into schoolwork. If you’re a senior, you can expect to be celebrating at your last major party as a student.

F. Fred-Fest:

Fred-Fest, only the best party weekend of the year.

G. Great Memories:

Whether you remember the weekend’s events or not, I can assure you, you will make amazing memories. Even if you don’t party all weekend, and just one night, you’ll run into people from campus you’ve never met, and memories will be made. Fred-Fest is a must have experience for any student, even if it’s only a one-time thing.

H. Hangover:

Let me just be realistic in saying that you’re most likely going to be tipsy or drunk all weekend long, but when Monday morning hits, you’re going to be feeling it. Make sure you have the water, coffee, orange juice and Advil ready… you’re going to need it.

I. Increased Bar Prices:

If you plan on going to the bars, be prepared for increased cover charges and drink prices. The bars know that Fred-Fest brings in people from all over, and ultimately they can raise the prices and out-of-towners will still go drink, especially Sunnys.

J. Jungle Juice:

Remember when they said not to drink the Jungle Juice, well expect to see JJ at parties! Don’t drink it unless you know where it came from, but if your group of friends made it, have fun and drink the juice.

K. Known Near and Far:

Fred-Fest is no secret to anyone. Everyone near and far knows about Fred-Fest and the festivities that occur. The event has become part of the school’s reputation.

L. "Long Weekend":

The drinking starts early on Friday and continues late into the weekend hours. For those that don’t have classes on Friday, the drinking starts even earlier. It’s a long weekend of alcohol and fun.

M. Most Fun All Semester:

Many students describe Fred-Fest as the most fun they will have all semester. Sure, there are tons of fun things to do, but nothing compares to Fred-Fest weekend.

N. Non-Students Not Allowed on Campus:

Your outside friends are not allowed in the residence halls during Fred-Fest, so be prepared if you have “guests.”

O. Outsiders Causing Trouble:

We all know that the non-students cause the most issues. Ask PD who they arrest the most, and they will tell you that it is mostly outsiders. On campus, our students tend to listen when PD gives an order and save ourselves the trouble of an arrest.

P. Parties, Parties, Parties:

There are literally parties everywhere downtown. It’s a weekend full of open parties. If you walk two feet one way or downtown the other way, you’re going to find a party somewhere.

Q. Quota:

Law enforcement tends to get their arrest quota in this weekend. Arrests are crazy and range from 25-100. State Troopers, CC Sheriffs, PD and UP all make appearances throughout the weekend.

R. "Ruining the Town?"

Many residents like to say that Fred-Fest ruins the town, and that it shouldn’t be allowed to occur. In all reality, is there really a way to stop Fred-Fest?

S. Shirts:

You’ve seen them all across campus already, every group, club, sport or friend pack have some kind of shirt designed specifically for the weekend. While they may not say which club the shirt is affiliated with, it is very easy to tell who is who.

T. Tequila:

Tequila makes you do some crazy things, and the more you drink the crazier you get. Be careful with the tequila at Fred-Fest, you have to be able to pace yourself to enjoy the full weekend.

U. University Tradition:

Fred-Fest has been around for years, and it has become a tradition to the students. It should be a tradition that sticks around for quite some time.

V. Visits to Brooks:

Drinking leads to many 911 calls during Fred-Fest. Make sure you take care of yourself and your friends. No-one wants an ambulance bill for hundreds of dollars because you drank too much and Alstar had to be called. Plus, no one wants to spend Fred-Fest getting their stomach pumped at Brooks. Drink safe, y’all.

W. Wiffle Bats:

Two words—dizzy bat.

X. eXactly What Happened Last Night?

There’s a very good chance, depending on how much you drink, that you’re not going to remember much of the weekend.

Y. You Made It:

Congrats, if you’re reading this the weekend after Fred-Fest, then you survived! You made it through the semester, and you made it through Fred-Fest. It only gets better from here!

Z. Zombie:

I can assure you, you are going to be sleep deprived and hungover on Monday morning. You may just look like a zombie in that early morning class.