11 Frank Ocean Lyrics To Ease The Pain Like Novacane

11 Frank Ocean Lyrics To Ease The Pain Like Novacane​

He's got mainstream popularity, an underground sense of creativity, but a lyric book of heart-wrenching words made to make the toughest person cry like a b--sorry, tortured soul.

1089

Frank Ocean made airwaves in 2012 with his debut album channel ORANGE that took the R&B/Soul world by storm and made him a household name. His enigmatic presence in pop culture resonated with many young fans who were in the throngs of heartbreak, humiliation, and hardships of a different kind. Some could say he's a mainstream artist that is still rooted in his alternative style, despite having songs with hip-hop heavyweights like Jay-Z, Kanye West, and A$AP Rocky. However, these eleven lyrics are made for the chilly nights of winter for anyone feeling lonely if they're single, recently broken-up, or just reflecting on past relationships.

1. "The best song wasn't the single/But you couldn't turn your radio down"

Song: "Sweet Life". Frank's ability to weave lyrics together with subliminal messaging is magical, not gonna lie. Referring to his crush in the song that they should listen to deeper cuts of an album instead of the radio hits also means that they should invest more in the deeper aspects of their relationship than just the...'sweet life' of it. Powerful.

2. "Do you slide on all your nights like this?"

This shit seriously S L A P S. Ocean, Migos, and Calvin Harris made a sleeper hit in late Spring 2017 with 'Slide', which is slang for no-strings-attached sex. Ocean, monotone throughout it, manages to make you think about this current generation's mindset of casual sex and no real meaningful relationships.

3. "Loving you's a little different I don't like you a lot/I mean...fuck"

Song: "Sunday (feat. Frank Ocean)" by Earl Sweatshirt. Frank, after admitting that he's stopped smoking pot (which after quitting has given him nightmares), doesn't like the person he's loving at the moment because the hate has gotten stronger than the love. I mean, how relatable is that to a lot of people. Certainly a lot more than a classroom.

4. "Tonight she came stumblin' across my lawn again/I just don't know why I keep tryin' to keep a grown woman sober"

Song: "Pilot Jones". Let's be honest, we've all had a few relationships where substances and alcohol have become the unwanted third party. It was a rough time, so of course Ocean has you covered in trying to heal that hurtful part in your life.

5. "But you're beautiful to me/Wave 'em high girl, to the sky"

Song: "Monks". For once, it seems as though Ocean is content and happy with this girl he's with in this song. In every relationship, there's always happiness at some point. It could last the entire time, or just certain parts of it. Either way, you were/are having a great time and not even Monks can disturb that tranquility.

6. "I'll be honest, I wasn't devastated/But you could've held my hands through this, baby"

Song: "Close to You". This minute-long song says so much when it comes modern relationships and how they end. Abrupt, no explanations, not even a chance of trying to work it out. Ocean just makes this powerful without going over two minutes. A great lyric from an underrated track.

7. "Bed full of women, flip on a tripod, little red light on shootin'"

A bit complicated to understand, but all of us have some weird dreams/fantasies. Ocean manages to make that realistic but in a nightmarish way.

8. "Close my eyes and fall into you/My God, she's giving me pleasure"

Song: "Pink Matter (feat. Andre 3000)". Interpret as you wish, folks. We all need to be held by our S.O.

9. "I'll be the boyfriend in your wet dreams tonight"

Song: "Self Control". Ocean be mad flexin' sometimes, and it be like that.

10. "No, I don't like you, I just thought you were cool enough to kick it"

His most popular song is the epitome of trying to not care when he DOES care about someone.

11. "I'd do anything for you (In the dark)"

Song: "Seigfried". Ocean admits he'd take a bullet for the person he's singing to, but only when no one else outside knows. He cares but can't show it in public, which many of us have done or experienced from someone we're emotionally invested with.

Overall, these lyrics were intended to shed light on Ocean's masterful lyricism and why he's so cherished by this generation.