Japan Fox Village
Travel

This Special Village For Foxes Might Be The Cutest Place Ever

An island full of friendly, adorable foxes is a must-see for anyone who has the desire to cry from cuteness overload!

38
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Captive_red_foxes.JPG

If you love foxes and you happen to find yourself in the Miyagi prefecture of Japan at some point in your life, then you absolutely have to stop by the Zao Fox Village. It's not a place that's anything like your local zoo, where you get to stare at animals from behind the safety of a glass wall. Rather, Zao Fox Village is an interactive island first established in 1990 where plenty of foxes roam free.

While a place like this might be a little brow-raising for some, the skeptical can rest assured that the foxes are being properly cared for by the staff who work there. The village serves as being the home for six different breeds of fox, and offers plenty of forest space for them to play and run around in. Not only that, but it also houses a fox hospital, where trained medical staff treat the sick and injured animals.

Have you ever wanted to pet a fox? Well, this could be your chance!

https://pixabay.com/en/fox-animal-wildlife-red-mac...

Visitors are allowed to walk through the island right alongside their new foxy friends. The foxes within the village are fairly tame around people, and could even approach you to be pet! However, it is advised to approach them with caution, as they are still wild animals who could nip at you.

Although you aren't allowed to feed the foxes while out on the trail, there is a special area in the village that allows visitors to give the little guys some treats for a small fee of 100 yen. While you shouldn't feed the foxes by hand, you can toss some of the treats for them to eat across the ground and watch them go! They certainly love a good snack.

What is it that makes foxes so special, anyways?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/conifer/18156131318

While having an island full to the brim with foxes is great, there has to be more to it. Well, the importance of foxes can be traced back to Japanese religious beliefs. Within Shintoism, foxes are viewed as being servants to Inari, the god of wealth and rice cultivation. Many states of foxes can be seen outside of shrines dedicated to the deity.

As such, there is even a shrine for Inari located within the fox village. Plenty of little foxes can be spotted napping around the beautifully kept area. While visiting, you should take a moment to pay your respects, maybe you'll find yourself being a little more prosperous if you do!

Fox Village isn't even the only adorable animal spot in Japan.

Japan is known for having an "Isle of Animals". From the fox village, to a bunny island, to a cat island, to a deer island, Japan is the place to be for animal lovers! Much like the fox village, deer island and bunny island allow for you to get up close and personal with the animals. For many, it can be a once in a lifetime interaction!

Unfortunately though, not every place is as well-kept as the Zao Fox Village. In particular, the "cat island" is home to hundreds of stray cats in need of care. Unlike foxes, cats are domesticated animals who need the care of humans in order to thrive. The cats living on this island must fend for themselves, and rely heavily on scraps of food from visitors to survive.

Are you booking your next vacation yet?

Whether you want to feed some stray cats or pet a little red fox, Japan would definitely be worth the trip for you! After all, how many of the people that you know get to say that they were surrounded by a dozen foxes at some point in their life? You could easily be the friend who can tell that story! So go ahead and start planning your trip to a village where dreams become reality!