Four Ways To Build Trust In A Relationship

How to trust your partner more, and vice versa.

42
Think Pynk

Even if the sex is great, the chemistry is there, and all of your friends love them one can still find themselves unhappy in a relationship if they do not trust their partner. Distrust can cause one to make assumptions that may or may not be true, based on emotions they cannot control due to baggage, uncertainty, and unwarranted judgment upon our significant other. If they are texting, you automatically assume that it's another person they're interested in. And of course, they're more attractive and makes more money than you do. But is that really the case? Or did you make that entire scenario in your head? Is there any validity to your accusations, or have your trust issues gotten the best of you all over again? If you have found yourself in this position more than once, you need to build trust with your partner. Some may argue that trust is more important that love in a relationship. Here are four way to improve the trust in your relationship.

Communicate more

Way too often we are afraid to communicate what we are feeling. By simply stating how we feel we can cut out a lot of the guessing games in a relationship. Your significant other will no longer have to wonder how you feel, because they will know. And vice versa. A key way to communicate more is letting go of inhibitions that cause you to suppress your emotions. This includes the fear of being seen as needy, moody, angry etc. As long as you communicate you are always making it clear how your girlfriend or boyfriend affects you. Simply admitting “you hurt me” can not only relieve you of emotional suffering, but create more of an understanding on what can be done in the future to prevent these feelings.

Communicate better

In relationships we think that there are certain things that can be assumed, and that don't need to be reiterated. Reminding your partner that they are loved and appreciated are two simple ways to build a sense of security in a relationship. Everyone, to a degree, wants to know that hey are needed or preferred. Another way to communicate better is to regard your partner’s emotions when expressing your own. Very often we are so focused on getting our point across, that we forget that our significant other has feelings as well. Do not let arguments compel you to say things that cut too deep. Once the dispute is over, your partner will remember those remarks, and question if your terms of endearment even have any validity at all.

Let go of your past

He is not your ex. She is not the person who hurt you. Baggage is something that we bring into relationships before our partner can even make a mistake. This way of thinking can lead to unwarranted skepticism. You may find yourself saying “That’s exactly what my ex used to say” and then using that against your boyfriend or girlfriend. But how is that fair when they have no prior knowledge of your past? Furthermore, if your partner knows you have a lot of baggage from your last relationships, they can begin to think that a part of you is not over your ex. Which is true. If you were over your ex, they would have no power in this current union. We must fully let go of old situations in order to be able to trust our future partners and lead successful, healthy relationships down the line.

Be Honest about what you want

If you’re looking to be monogamous, express that. If you want to work towards marriage, express that. That way, your partner can always be on the same page as you are. When we don't fully express what we want, but expect that very thing anyway, we create expectations that our significant other may not be able to fill. They cannot read your mind, and they may have a different outlook on the relationship. This will inevitably cause discord if not addressed the right way. So let them know, or it will bite you in the ass.